• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dental Bridge or implants?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dental Bridge or implants?

Had two front teeth crowns removed due to the roots becoming infected. So the option I have is either a bridge, where the two healthy teeth either side are used to support it, or self-supporting implants.

Ignoring the cost of implants which are roughly double that of a bridge, the timescale is a bit off-putting. Could be 3 to 6 months for the implants to knit with the bone before crowns can be mounted on them, during which time I'll have to wear a denture plate.

Anyone got any experience or had to make a similar decision?

I'm a bit worried the dentist isn't exactly being impartial seeing as it's private and they get more money for certain treatments.

All this aggro because some learner driver twat knocked my off my pushbike when I was 10. Hope the **** never drove again.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Implants over bridge every time.

Why screw the two healthy teeth next door by putting a bridge on them.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post

That's what I was thinking till they then tell me there seems to be some infection at the base of the roots of the two surrounding teeth so I'm advised to have them root-canalled anyway.

Maybe I'll get a second opinion if I land a contract away from home and have it treated there instead. Certainly don't want to be taking loads of time off to have it treated closer to home.
      Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

WHS - if there is nothing wrong with the other teeth (and I wouldn't class needing root canal as anything major), then get the implants rather than the bridge.

That's what my endodontist recommended to me some years back.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          WHS - if there is nothing wrong with the other teeth (and I wouldn't class needing root canal as anything major), then get the implants rather than the bridge.

That's what my endodontist recommended to me some years back.

The only thing really putting me off implants is the procedure. They say I'll be sedated but awake, and they liken it to being drunk where you're aware of what's going on but are in a 'relaxed state' about it.

As someone that hates the needle injection when they're numbing I can't imagine the procure being particularly pleasent, unless I won't really remember it afterwards.

Maybe having two missing teeth won't be too detremental to my appearance, so leave it as it is. I'm more Shane McGowan than Brad Pitt anyway.
          Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
            The only thing really putting me off implants is the procedure. They say I'll be sedated but awake, and they liken it to being drunk where you're aware of what's going on but are in a 'relaxed state' about it.

As someone that hates the needle injection when they're numbing I can't imagine the procure being particularly pleasent, unless I won't really remember it afterwards.

Maybe having two missing teeth won't be too detremental to my appearance, so leave it as it is. I'm more Shane McGowan than Brad Pitt anyway.
            Ask them to do it under a general anaesthetic, then. Might be possible, although a lot of dentists are wary of doing it in the chair these days.

If they tell you that you won't remember it, they're probably lying.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

If this is what I had many moons ago then it's the

Best

Drug

Treatment

Ever.

It's a bit like watching Yellow Submarine, but in your head. And there's no injections, just gas.
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Ask them to do it under a general anaesthetic, then. Might be possible, although a lot of dentists are wary of doing it in the chair these days..
                No general anaesthetic option available. Too risky and probably not covered on their insurance.

They still need several people to be present including a proper surgeon to do the procedure, at a cost of two grand just for a bit of drilling into the bone and inserting a couple of screws.

If they tell you that you won't remember it, they're probably lying.

Thanks for being honest. I thought that would be too good to be true.

I do remember having a milk tooth out when I was a nipper. They gassed me and made me count down from 10. Not sure if that was full knock-out or similar to what they'll do this time. I don't remember anything from getting to about 4 on the countdown till afterwards so not sure.
                Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

If this is what I had many moons ago then it's the

Best

Drug

Treatment

Ever.

It's a bit like watching Yellow Submarine, but in your head. And there's no injections, just gas.

That sounds more like it.

Maybe I should suggest I turn up drunk and save them some money! Not sure they'll be able to provide the obligitory kebab afterwards, but there's a very nice assistant who may be able to offer something along those lines.
                  Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Thanks for being honest. I thought that would be too good to be true.

I do remember having a milk tooth out when I was a nipper. They gassed me and made me count down from 10. Not sure if that was full knock-out or similar to what they'll do this time. I don't remember anything from getting to about 4 on the countdown till afterwards so not sure.
                    I've not had it done, but they are hardly likely to tell you that it'll be a nightmare!!

I had loads taken out when I was younger (8 in one go; 6 in one go) under general; two wisdom teeth removed in hospital under general too. But if that's not an option....

Even without the option of general, I would have the implants rather than the bridge.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Working...
                    X