• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ltd Company CTG / taper relief

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ltd Company CTG / taper relief

Hi,

Simple question though seemingly too difficult for my accountant (but at least he's cheap...).

Scenario:

Company trades for about 4 years
    Company annual end of year profits retained in bank (not payed as salary, PAYE or divi):
    <1k

Can company then be closed, 100k taxed as capital gains, with 75% taper relief?
    Does the 100k have to be held for 2 years+, or is it the company that needs to be held for 2 years+?

Thanks
    Bored.

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
    Hi,

Simple question though seemingly too difficult for my accountant (but at least he's cheap...).

Thanks
    If your accountant can't answer this question then he could prove anything but cheap!!

Essentially your udnerstandoing of the CGT and taper relief is correct but you better get your skates on as the taper relief tapers out at the end of the tax year.

Comment

to be honest, I think you're too late to take advantage of the current rules. you need to cease trading, apply for ESCC16, get that approved by HMRC, prepare final accounts, pay HMRC outstanding CT and then you can distribute the funds from the company; as ESC C16 applies to your personal tax liability I would say you'd struggle to make the distribution before 6th april. Especially if your accountant is cr*p.
      We don't have to save the world. The world is big enough to look after itself. What we have to be concerned about is whether or not the world we live in will be capable of sustaining us in it.
      - Douglas Adams

Comment

Presuming you have to wait until after April, then you can still do this and treat the proceeds as capital, but taper relief no longer applies. However, there is a 10% CGT rate available on the proceeds with certain caveats.

So you may be able to get a similar results, although after April 5th it is slightly less attractive due to the treatment of the personal CGT allowance in the Taper Relief scenario.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, there's no point in me going for this for a couple of years, but at least I will hopefully still be able to use the CGT route then.

Presumably the caveats applicable post-April 08 are as described by Mr. PorkPie ?
          Bored.

Comment

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
            Hi,

Scenario:

Company trades for about 4 years
            Company annual end of year profits retained in bank (not payed as salary, PAYE or divi):
            <1k

Can company then be closed, 100k taxed as capital gains, with 75% taper relief?
            Does the 100k have to be held for 2 years+, or is it the company that needs to be held for 2 years+?

Thanks
            As has been mentioned, the taper relief will be withdrawn in 5th April.

The new regime is that effectively the first £1million of gains on the disposal will be taxed at 10% - so no real difference.

However the 2 year rule is reduced to 12 months, the business should be a trading business (rather than investment) and part of the concession is that you have no intention to start a new business.

This last clause prevents closing and opening a series of businesses to take advantage of the tax benefit.

I hope this helps.

Alan

Comment

So if you closed your company down paying 10% tax and subsequently wanted to start up again what would happen ? You'd be blocked?

Comment

Originally posted by hgllgh View Post
                So if you closed your company down paying 10% tax and subsequently wanted to start up again what would happen ? You'd be blocked?
                I believe that the new legislation allows the 10% tax break once in your lifetime, so you would be allowed it once, but next time you'd have to pay the full amount.
                "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by hgllgh View Post
                  I don't think they could "block" you per se - you just wouldn't get the relief.
                  "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
                    I believe that the new legislation allows the 10% tax break once in your lifetime, so you would be allowed it once, but next time you'd have to pay the full amount.
                    It's not once in your lifetime it's a once a lifetime limit of 1 million or something. So you can do it a number of times until you've clocked up the million.

Comment

Working...
                    X