• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rules for Building on Land

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rules for Building on Land

Happy Easter,

I have a friend who owns a house in Middlesex and he has enough spare land next to it which is currently used as a patio / for shedding stuff. I told him it has potential so he got an architect round who said a two bedroom flat could be built on the land, but that it would have to be an extension of the house and not a fresh build.

I don't know much about how this works, but I would have thought that given you own the land, you could get planning permission to do a fresh build on it?

Does anyone have an idea of how this works and what you can and can't do?

P

Build a 40 storey block of flats on it and let it out to immigrants.

I'm sure the council will approve.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      Build a 40 storey block of flats on it and let it out to immigrants.

I'm sure the council will approve.
      You're not too far off, haha. But yes the idea is that I will build a two bedder on it and let it out.

Seriously guys, any ideas?

P

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Loew View Post
        Happy Easter,

I have a friend who owns a house in Middlesex and he has enough spare land next to it which is currently used as a patio / for shedding stuff. I told him it has potential so he got an architect round who said a two bedroom flat could be built on the land, but that it would have to be an extension of the house and not a fresh build.

I don't know much about how this works, but I would have thought that given you own the land, you could get planning permission to do a fresh build on it?

P
        Talk to the local planning department. Rules vary across the country but there are specific guidelines that say what is and is not allowed. It is complicated and not trivial.

Comment

Why should "owning the land" make a difference. If it did anyone could get permission to build anything.

The rules about what can be built depend on whether what is being proposed is "in keeping" with the area and that it does not impose on a number of other conditions.

Ownership of the land is completely irrelevant.

tim

Comment

Get to class his house as a farm and build a barn on it. 1000's of migrants can be housed in it then.

Comment

P
              The architect probably knows something about the planning rules in the area which is why he is stating your mate can't do a fresh build on the land. Planning law is complicated. The development has fulfill the local development framework of the council and you also have to keep your neighbours on side.

For example depending on the area you may need to have 1 off-road parking space for each new dwelling otherwise the application will be refused, there as if you have a granny flat or annex you will not need to do this as its still one property. Also if you are building a 2 bedroom property in a area of 4 bed properties with large gardens then all the residents on the street can start a campaign against you to raise objections to stop the property being build.

Most extensions can be build without such fuss. Even then the council can be difficult and so can immediate neighbours if any of the windows of the new rooms over look a them. Someone I know decided to build a loft extension and submitted the plans to the council. The application was turned down because it was out of character with the area. They changed the plans so the outside looked similar to their neighbours loft extension and got it through.

Get your friend to have a read of the planning portal http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/genpub/en/
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Best use a local architect etc. they may well be expensive, but part of this is passed on to the people in the local planning department to ensure you don't get grief down the line.

HTH
                Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

http://callhart.com/crazy/wp-content...508_000827.jpg
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                  X