• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Day Rate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Day Rate

I will be having a telephone interview for a contract paying £320 p/d.
    Since receiving the full job spec, it is mentioned that out of hours work may be required.

"Flexibility will be required to work out of normal hours to meet the demands of the service, whilst based at site some travel will be required to alternate sites."

How does being on day rate affect extra hours worked ?. Can i claim for overtime or will they try and get more work out of me for just the day rate.

Originally posted by unemployed View Post
    Since receiving the full job spec, it is mentioned that out of hours work may be required.

"Flexibility will be required to work out of normal hours to meet the demands of the service, whilst based at site some travel will be required to alternate sites."

How does being on day rate affect extra hours worked ?. Can i claim for overtime or will they try and get more work out of me for just the day rate.
    You work eight hours you bill a day
    You work 1 hour you bill a day
    You work 23 hours you bill a day

I work it that if anything extra is needed and is known about in advance then I am compensated (e.g. I did a 16 hour day which I knew about in advanced so billed 2 "units"). I've also done 20 hour days as flights have been delayed - tulip happens, business risks and all that.

Comment

Either take it and get on with it, or, don't take it. Do you really want renewal or are you happy to move on every 3 months??

Comment

If you are expected to be on different sites occasionally, are they paying your expenses to get there? I would expect so, but make sure you're either happy to pay for it yourself, or get it in the contract.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
          You work 1 hour you bill a day
          You work 23 hours you bill a day.
          My experience of day rates is:

You work 23 hours you bill a day.
          You work 7 hours you comments from someone in accounts or project support tells the world you are fiddling your hours. Consequently you get moaned at by the agent and end up working unpaid overtime or getting underpaid when you do short days.

I do hourly rates where possible. It just saves grief all round.
          Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

I don't think they're talking about overtime. More like covering odd hours instead of the normal 9-5 occasionally.

e.g. if you need to do an overnight release on the Wednesday you might end up working
            0900-1700
            0900-1700
            1500-0100
            1100-1700
            0900-1700

-and still charge for 5 normal days.

Check in advance though.

Comment

My current contract is a bit different for the daily rate. It says based on an 8 hour day on the front, and then somewhere inside it, it mentions something about not working more than 40 hours a week. So really it's hourly, rather than the typical professional working day (even though the initial talks were based on a daily rate). The contract is based on one of the standard templates out there.

Comment

The contract should specify the expected number of hours per day and week. Try to balance the days where you work long hours with those where you work less. For example, I am on a daily rate, but leave at lunch time on Friday and arrive late on Monday morning, working longer days inbetween to make up the difference.

Would not make this an issue in the interview. In the end it's simple - do you want the work or not?

Comment

Flexibility will be required to work out of normal hours to meet the demands of the service
                  To me that means out of normal hours, not more than normal hours. I cannot say what it means to the client.

Comment

Depends on the client. You will only know by working there.

Some clients have:
                    1. permie staff who won't work any hours unless specified in their contract of employment
                    2. have staff who suffer from presenteeism
                    3. have staff who will be normal (which is rare)

With 1 and 3 you can work a day or two longer than normal hours and then easily bill whole days where you worked shorter hours as a full day.

With 2 they will try and screw you.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X