• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

100 work permits issued per day!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

100 work permits issued per day!

Last week I obtained under the freedom of information act the numbers of work permits issued per month. I would like to attach the speadsheet, but I cannot.

Here is a sample:

May 05 :2, 049
    Apr 05 : 2, 111
    Mar 05 : 2, 186
    Feb 05 : 1, 986
    Jan 05 : 2, 227

These are NEW issues, not the number of permits in force. This is roughly 100 new permits issued each and every working day.

Shock and horror. Man the battlements.

Comment

How come so many people come in January. Now, that's interesting.
      I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by insight14
        Shock and horror. Man the battlements.
        Raise the drawbridge. I mean the prices.
        If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Does 'new' issue exclude renewals?
          Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Comment

Work permits

its relatively simple to get a work permit if you have an employee that is willing to sponser you. It always helps it you have a degree etc but the process can be manipulated so that, for example, if someone is working as waitress and the have a willing employer.

If you have a willing employer you can nearly always present the person in a light that, according to home office criteria they will be issued a work permit.

The emplyer has to advertise but the dont have to emply any of applicants and once the required time running the advertisment is over, they can justify that they cannot find a suitable applicant in the EU labour pool.

I would be interested in how many where actually realted to IT skills.
            There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Comment

Does that include or exclude the Aussie,Kiwi and such Working Holiday (or whatever they are calling them now) visas?

Comment

Originally posted by sunnysan
                its relatively simple to get a work permit if you have an employee that is willing to sponser you. It always helps it you have a degree etc but the process can be manipulated so that, for example, if someone is working as waitress and the have a willing employer.
                Yeah real easy -- if the firm on behalf of which that "employee" applies is unknown to Home Office, ie have not applied before for work permit, then the firm need to show I believe audited accounts for last 3 years. Not sure what's HO's practice in regards of newly created firms that have no accoutn no nothing, but from what I understand this means no chance of issueing work permit.

By the way, NEW work permits include IN-COUNTRY CHANGES, ie when I changed my job from ex-ex-empoloyer to ex-employer I needed "NEW" work permit, but I was not a NEW person in the country.

Comment

Things might be changing

It would be interesting to get those figures again, in another few months time, because it looks as if government policy has changed.

Mrs Hattra regularly has to get work permits for medical doctors, and up until about a month ago, there were all sorts of abuses "slipping through" the system. The most common one was entering the UK on a tourist visa, and then finding a job while in-country and applying for it - this is actually illegal, but lots of foreign doctors were being allowed to get away with it. However, in the last four weeks, three of the doctors at her hospital have been told to leave the country, because a "review" of their case has shown that they had done just that. And yesterday, they rejected another doctors work permit application, even though she's actually sponsored by the UK Government on an international exchange program, and has been given extended leave to stay by the Foreign Office - so now she can stay in the country for the next 3 years, but can't work!

Unfortunately, the hospital departments involved (usually the ones run by foreign consultants) keep lodging formal complaints about Mrs. Hattra (once of racism), when it's nothing to do with her. None of them are ever upheld, but it gets very stressful for her.
                  Life is just nature's way of keeping meat fresh

Comment

Tourists not allowed to switch status in-country, unless its asylum, never heard of doctors getting better treatment -- they have easy ways in anyway to do that. I think Govt is just sh1t scared that one of the immigrants who was let in without 100% passes formalities will turn out a terrorist -- imagine headlines in the Sun talking about failed non-deported asylum seeker turning a bomber?

Comment

Working...
                    X