• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

rug about to be pulled out from under fathers?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rug about to be pulled out from under fathers?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.../nmills103.xml

"The absence of an experienced lawyer in a family case slowed down the legal process and put the onus on the judge to ensure the correct areas of law were applied, Lord Phillips said."

The only reason I get shared residence (I have the children 4 days per week) is because I ran my own case. I did have a solicitor but they charged £2k per month and were worse than useless. They made it worse! Rather like having the fire brigade turning up and pouring napalm on the fire.

Lord Phillips just wants to assist the family law gravy train.

Lord Phillips should think about implementing the 1989 & 1996 Children Acts which talk about shared parenting. Also men and women should be equal but judged by their actions.

Totally agree - and I have seen this from both sides. My lawyer cost a fortune and did zip (barrister was even worse), now ex-wife's lot were similarly hopeless. Before we started I agreed they would bill me monthy, but after the first couple of months they just didn't bother.

Any time anything was happening I had to phone them all the time to find out what was going on.

My sis's ex refused to get a lawyer and acted even more stupid than he actually is - slowed the whole thing down and cost my sis a fortune (although he took the mickey so much that she did get costs awarded for part of it)

Family law is a massive gravy train for very average people to make piles of cash without having to know anything or do anything.

Come to think of it, that's a pretty good description of my career - maybe that's why I hate lawyers so much.

Comment

Wouldn't get too heated about it: he was never that good a naval lawyer, so what he knows of family law... when all is said and done he's only a political placeman.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post

Family law is a massive gravy train for very average people to make piles of cash without having to know anything or do anything.

.Net

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          "The absence of an experienced lawyer in a family case slowed down the legal process and put the onus on the judge to ensure the correct areas of law were applied, Lord Phillips said."
          I haven't read the article, nor do I intend to.

BUT - isn't there always an onus on the judge to ensure that the correct areas of the law are being applied? That's the case in all legal disputes, is it not??
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post

BUT - isn't there always an onus on the judge to ensure that the correct areas of the law are being applied? That's the case in all legal disputes, is it not??
            Like people say, most of the plonkers working in family law are there because they're hopeless, legal bods call them bad names: "failed conveyancing, trying family law".
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Mylord

Lord Phillips is a well known leftie, always defending 'asylum-seekers rights', 'women's equality', 'race equality' and all other 'deserving' cases.
              He is about to get promoted, so a little pandering to 'strict prisoner terms' and to the solicitors' lobby will undoubtedly do him no harm at all.
              I say sack the buffoon.

Comment

Why is it when you see people talking about dending equality, they tend to want to make things less equal?
                Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Good point - could be re-written as "these people have the temerity to make us do what we get paid for - how dare they"

and to think people have a go at train drivers...........

Comment

No there isn't. The judge is there to interpret the law as they see fit. The law is never cut and dried which is why one judges opinion will set precedents for years, until another judge sets a new precedent for the next few years...

Last edited by ratewhore; 3 April 2008, 10:05.
                    Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Working...
                    X