• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

24 month travel expense

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

24 month travel expense

I finish my current contract on 17th April 2008, thats' 1 day short of 2 years. I may be offered a new contract with the same client but I may be asked to travel to another work location which is nearly twice the distance I am travelling at present. Will I be able to claim travel expense since I will travelling to a another location?

Originally posted by ki5hor View Post
    Will I be able to claim travel expense since I will travelling to a another location?
    yes, so long as HMRC agree that it is a different location. Location is the only relevancy. Contract/client/global warming are all irrelevant to your ability to claim expenses.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Seconded. If it's in a substantially different location is ok. Same client is irrelevant.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

24 month travel - Change of location

The change of location has to have a "substantial effect" (Section 339 (7) for those legally minded) on the travelling for it to be treated as another location. The trouble is - what is substantial? The reason behind this aspect of the legislation is one of anti avoidance - for example if I own three shops in a small town I could rotate the staff annually between the three and the travelling expense would be allowable.
        HMRC regard 10 miles as "substantial" - that is a rule of thumb and not a rule of law. If a journey is twice the distance then the effect is, in my book, substantial even if it is from 4 miles to 8 miles.
        I have a number of cases at the moment where there is a similar problem - the diifference in distance is say 8 miles but the effect is to alter the journey by 30% - is a 30% difference a "substantial effect"? I have asked HMRC for an opinion.....and I will report back when I have an answer ... but it could take months ...

Bob

Comment

Working...
        X