• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Newbie in need of help with non payment of invoices

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie in need of help with non payment of invoices

Hi all.

I hope someone can help or at least can point me in the right direction.

I trade as self employed and I've been working for a company who've decided not to pay my invoices for the last few weeks, now claiming that works not been completed and so forth.

Now I have signed PO's, invoices and signed timesheets in respect of completing the work and a couple of emails stating that they are 'withholding payment' because of the reasons above. I really need to sort this out as I'm worried about the missing revenue but I've tried the CAB (2hr queue), ACAS (no help) and the only avenue left is a solicitor I guess, but I don't know if that'll be worth the cost against the £2k of invoices.

Thanks for any help or advice in advance.

Send them a 7 day to pay letter by recorded delivery.
    If no payment, go through the small claims court?

Comment

Originally posted by dan_m2k View Post
      now claiming that works not been completed and so forth.
      It might be worth you elaborating on this - perhaps the client has a genuine complaint regarding the quality or completeness of your work that you need to address?

If I was in your shoes, I'd want to be sure that my complaint of non-payment was reasonable before going down any legal route.

Comment

There are companies on net who will send threatening letters on a no-win no-fee basis. Do a google on small claims.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Read this site and follow the advice therein.

Also do a search for "Winding up orders". These can be a lot of fun.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

It is also worth looking at Thomas Higgins for a low cost legal option. They will send an initial letter (a letter before action) for only 2 pounds.

http://www.thomashiggins.com/

http://www.thomashiggins.com/leter-before-action.html
            Last edited by Hex; 7 April 2008, 10:37.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks all for the great advice - The links are really useful for what I need.

As for the quality of my work, I'd always be happy to address any concerns a client has had with what I've done for them, as I don't believe I'll ever get any better at what I do if I constantly believe I can't improve. However, this client has signed timesheets stating that I've "worked for the hours/days specified to the standards agreed..." when I was on site and these aligations only came when I sent a friendly email chasing the outstanding money. (This working is exactly what I've used on the advice of a friend in the trade but I dont know how much water it'll hold in court).

The thing I guess I need clarity on is if the documentation I have is sufficient to make a case against them and to counter there claims. They have since made an offer of part payment by telephone if I continue to work for them, the thing is, that I don't believe I'll see any more money if I do this. I'm unsure who I should turn to for this..?

Thanks very much again.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_m2k View Post
                Thanks all for the great advice - The links are really useful for what I need.

As for the quality of my work, I'd always be happy to address any concerns a client has had with what I've done for them, as I don't believe I'll ever get any better at what I do if I constantly believe I can't improve. However, this client has signed timesheets stating that I've "worked for the hours/days specified to the standards agreed..." when I was on site and these aligations only came when I sent a friendly email chasing the outstanding money. (This working is exactly what I've used on the advice of a friend in the trade but I dont know how much water it'll hold in court).

The thing I guess I need clarity on is if the documentation I have is sufficient to make a case against them and to counter there claims. They have since made an offer of part payment by telephone if I continue to work for them, the thing is, that I don't believe I'll see any more money if I do this. I'm unsure who I should turn to for this..?

Thanks very much again.

If they've signed it then they have agreed the quality and should pay.
                If they are not happy with your work then why do they want to keep you?

It sounds like they are just trying to bully you into giving them a discount, don't stand for it.
                Issue invoices for admin charges and interest as per www.payontime.co.uk and if they still don't pay then take them to the small claims court.

Comment

Issuing the agency/client with a statutory demand is FREE, and can have the desired effect.

Download here.

And winding up orders, try this.

It's an entertaining read as well!
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Great, I feel loads more confident now after having had a read-around the subject from the links provided.

One thing I'd like to know is are there any templates of the appropriate legal wording I can use if I were to send my own 7-day-pay-up-or-court letter?

Thanks
                    Dan

Comment

Working...
                    X