PDA

View Full Version : F*ing Church Bells

Lucy
22nd April 2008, 17:10
Why?

We live opposite a church which gets about six parishioners on Sundays when they ring the flipping bells for about an hour. Then they ring them for three hours on a Wednesday night for 'practice' and now they are ringing them tonight?

FFS why???

bogeyman
22nd April 2008, 17:18
FFS why???

Just to annoy the tits off you!

BrilloPad
22nd April 2008, 17:18

Don't foget to pay the bellringers that fiver later...

DimPrawn
22nd April 2008, 17:19
Would you rather the call to prayer at 100db through a loudspeaker off a minaret?

scooby
22nd April 2008, 17:19
better than muslim call to pray :mad

bogeyman
22nd April 2008, 17:23
Would you rather the call to prayer at 100db through a loudspeaker off a minaret?

We'll be getting that in Oxford any day now. How lucky we are!

City of Dreaming Spires => City of Screaming Minarets

Bagpuss
22nd April 2008, 17:25
The bells they drive me mad

Lucy

Lucy
22nd April 2008, 17:27

Well, it's working!:mad

bogeyman
22nd April 2008, 17:28

Lucy

The Hunchback of Notre Dame was on the telly last night as it happens (the 1939 version).

I though old Charles Laughton put in a very moving performance.

Not like these modern rubbish films!

Bagpuss
22nd April 2008, 17:29
Yes a classic film

Lucy
22nd April 2008, 17:46

Lucy

Now you are comparing me with a hunchback?

"How to impress girls" by Bagpuss.

tay
22nd April 2008, 17:49
You should have objected to the churches building permission...... :eyes

Bagpuss
22nd April 2008, 17:50
Like people who move near to pubs then complain about drunks

:mad

Lucy
22nd April 2008, 17:53
Like people who move near to pubs then complain about drunks

:mad

Yes, those damn weekend binge drinkers.:laugh

Bagpuss
22nd April 2008, 17:56
What would god think about those leftie sexual perversion embracers who live opposite, bringing shame on god's house?:laugh

Ring those bells, renounce the devil!

Lucy
22nd April 2008, 18:01
What would god think about those leftie sexual perversion embracers who live opposite, bringing shame on god's house?:laugh

Ring those bells, renounce the devil!

Don't call me a leftie, you stuffed cat.

bogeyman
22nd April 2008, 18:04
Now you are comparing me with a hunchback?

No no!

You'd be Esmeralda:

She is a French gypsy girl. She constantly attracts men with her seductive dances, and is rarely seen without her clever goat Djali. She is often noted to be around 16 years old.

thunderlizard
22nd April 2008, 20:16
She has a clever goat called "DJ Ali"?
Bet he's popular with the kids.

:laugh

PRC1964
22nd April 2008, 21:57
I quite like the sound of church bells. Though I'll admit they can get a bit repetitive.

Why not pop over and ask them if they could play a bit of Led Zep rather thatn the usual Bing bong bing bong bing bong bing bong?

sasguru
22nd April 2008, 21:59
Try living in Switzerland, the land of the bell fetish:frown

Board Game Geek
23rd April 2008, 01:02
I find that there is something soothing about the sound of church bells resonating across the village green on a balmy summer's day, as the last wickets fall to the victorious team and the farmers settle down on the benches outside the Rose and Crown to sup their light ale.

Church bells always evoke the same image for me, of a gentler, less frenetic age, now lost forever by the march of progress ; whatever that means.

NickFitz
23rd April 2008, 03:36
I once had the great good fortune to live in a place where, one Sunday evening, I left the house to the sound of the church bells over the road calling the faithful to Evensong, walked up the road to where I could hear the muezzin calling the faithful to prayer, and then waited at the bus stop listening to the chanting of the faithful from the Hindu temple.

It was nice to feel that the neighbourhood in which I lived was part of a wider, more diverse world of belief - although I'm not sure many of you on here will grasp what I mean, more's the pity :(

Around here it was (http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=52.658158,-1.123009&spn=0.001731,0.004721&t=h&z=18) - I lived on Vicarage Lane :)

roadster198
23rd April 2008, 08:29
I feel your pain Lucy..... I live not far from a church and six days a week you could hear a pin drop that is except on a Sunday at 10:13am on the dot every week. F**K ME I swear the bandit is trying to get the whole of Falkirk into that church!!! :tantrum:

On an odd occassion purely out of badness and to give all the oldies who go there (I've yet to see anyone there under 65)something to talk about I'll drive my big black Harley with straight through exhausts at maximum revs past the church :D

you can almost hear them say spawn of the devil.... I say alomst as you can't hear them over my bike :D

NotAllThere
23rd April 2008, 09:09
Try living in Switzerland, the land of the bell fetish:frown

6am until 10pm on the hour. And ten minutes before each church service.

After a while I found I just filtered it out. I don't notice it anymore.

Charles Foster Kane
23rd April 2008, 09:11
Why?

We live opposite a church which gets about six parishioners on Sundays when they ring the flipping bells for about an hour. Then they ring them for three hours on a Wednesday night for 'practice' and now they are ringing them tonight?

FFS why???

I've come to the conclusion that you cannot control the noise within your environment, I often hear my neighbours making noise and have one who often forgets to turn his alarm clock off on the weekend, always good for a hangover on a Sunday morning.

My solution was noise-cancelling ear plugs, now I sleep like a baby.

NotAllThere
23rd April 2008, 09:20
My solution was noise-cancelling ear plugs, now I sleep like a baby.

What, waking up crying every couple of hours?

Lucy
23rd April 2008, 09:36
What, waking up crying every couple of hours?

Needing a nappy change.

oracleslave
23rd April 2008, 09:43
Needing a nappy change.

Nah those are a result of butt plugs not ear plugs surely?

OrangeHopper
23rd April 2008, 11:49
Nothing wrong with a quarter peel of various variations of doubles. 5! changes per five minutes or 6! of a major method for the full 50 minutes.

Good fun being an atheist who rings the bells. The dirty look from the vicar as you make your exit.