• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expenses

Hi,

I have a quick query i need answered, Im working for a client who pays a measly 0.13 pence per mile for travel this barely covers the amount of fuel i use and doesnt even begin to cover wear and tear etc on my car. I go through a brolly and i was wondering can i still claim the goverments 40pence per mile through them as well?

Thanks in advance.

Yes. But this will be taken from your "salary".

Essentially your not subjected to the tax on that 40p.

You could also do this through a self assessment tax return.

Comment

Does the client pay your brolly the 13p a mile, or you personally. If the former, then you should claim 40p a mile from the brolly. If the latter, in your tax return you put down the mileage, and you'll get a deduction on your tax bill, equal to the tax on 27p. So if you're basic rate, that'll be about 5p a mile. Or 10p if you're a higher rate tax payer.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

expenses

i think travel expenses off set against taxable income should be dictated by HMRC not the client!" if your client is paying you 0.13p sounds like it should be in addition to, as i dont think they' can tell you' what your travel should be. I can ask my accountant he doesnt charge me for advice ..let me know hope that helps'

Comment

Working...
        X