• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to get money owed to you

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to get money owed to you

Hi,

First post, hello all.

I am having severe issues in getting monies owed to me from a fairly reputable agency and would like to ask what are my options. I have print outs of my time sheets and accounting from what they have paid me they are quite a bit short of what they should have paid me. The job finished a few months ago and i have alerted them to this discrepancy nearly weekly but they evade the situation.

I now know they will not pay me unless I give them a shot across their bows.

Can I ask what would the best course of action be? Legal?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Look at any clauses which state when they are obliged to pay you by (30 days if none).

Then issue a final reminder with 7 days to pay.

Then get a solicitor to write a "letter before action" stating, say, 7 days to pay or court proceedings will start. This letter will only cost you a few quid.

Then start court proceedings

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
      Hi,

First post, hello all.

I am having severe issues in getting monies owed to me from a fairly reputable agency and would like to ask what are my options. I have print outs of my time sheets and accounting from what they have paid me they are quite a bit short of what they should have paid me. The job finished a few months ago and i have alerted them to this discrepancy nearly weekly but they evade the situation.

I now know they will not pay me unless I give them a shot across their bows.

Can I ask what would the best course of action be? Legal?

Thanks in advance for any help.
      Or go visit www.payontime.co.uk There are rules to this process.

Who's the agency BTW - if they're not paying, other people will want to know.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Issue a statutory demand. It's free, and may have the desired effect - it looks pretty scary. It's also the first step to getting a winding up order.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

personally I like to visit their offices on a Friday night and put some maggots and fish heads through their post box.

some quick drying cement down their drains too.

Comment

I concur with Malvolio. I've used it and it works...
            Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              personally I like to visit their offices on a Friday night and put some maggots and fish heads through their post box.

some quick drying cement down their drains too.
              Yes, but you do that even when they pay early.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                Or go visit www.payontime.co.uk There are rules to this process.

Who's the agency BTW - if they're not paying, other people will want to know.
                Their name begins with an E, ends in a N and has a L and A in between. I have worked through their Edinburgh office before and they were totally OK, London payroll office is a joke, 18 months I was in the gig for and once they paid me on time. I would fax through an invoice and then they would send you an invoice back with a different date, different invoice number and different sum.

Thanks for the replies guys, Going to go down the statutory demand route this week.

Comment

Have fun. Let us know what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    Their name begins with an E, ends in a N and has a L and A in between.
                    Unless you're working through Ealn, I'm with the same agent and having similar difficulties, as are the three others contractor on site through Elan.

Comment

Working...
                    X