• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mobile phone to use in the USA?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mobile phone to use in the USA?

I gather taking my mobile to the USA in order to make/receive calls to/from the UK is not a great move. Especially since I'm on TalkTalk and I think they allow free/cheap calls to US mobiles.

I have been recommended the options of buying a PAYG phone on arriving in America, or getting a US SIM for my existing phone. http://www.gosim.com/index.php?page=usa was mentioned but paying to receive calls doesn't sound ideal.

Any advice?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

I'm not certain, but I believe that all US cellphone operators charge for receiving calls. The operating companies have a different business model over there, and it sucks. But I don't believe it's possible to find a US cellphone with which you don't pay for incoming calls.

You're probably best off working out possible figures for the different options - if you expect to receive a lot of calls while you're there, it might actually work out better to use your UK SIM, even if that means paying an arm and a leg for a small number of outgoing calls. If you'll make calls more than you're called, it might work out better the other way around.

(The Americans - well, the ones in the US - are still stuck with rather primitive business models when it comes to mobiles. Something to do with unbridled capitalism and no regulation to ensure consumers get a half-decent deal, I would imagine.)

Comment

Yeah, you get charged to send and recieve calls in the US.

I dunno about payg -when I was there it didn't exist (Took me ages to get myself a phone).
      Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Working...
      X