• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

mileage allowance should be upped!? - discuss

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mileage allowance should be upped!? - discuss

Bearing in mind the current legislation was last reviewed (to my knowledge) in 2002/3 - when petrol cost 77.9 (source: http://www.tsdemo.com/motoring_advic...e-archive.html)

What would you all consider an appropriate mileage rate? Petrol round here (scotland) is now around 115p....

with a little bit of maths, 40p is 51% of the 77.9p so should we now be able to claim 51% of the current petrol price? - 59p!!?

It just annoyed me having to pay 70 quid to fill up the car and a 120 mile round trip to a new client next month!

Completely agree - I was just discussing the same thing last week with some colleagues.

So what can we do about it?

Comment

It should (have been) be upped in line at least with inflation or some travel expense index. Petrol is just one part of the equation.

Just more of the same, in that all the other tax allowances stay frozen or do not go up by the true %, so this is just another stealth tax by the Govt. We should expect nothing else from this lot.

Now he can also use the 'green excuse' for not increasing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
        It should (have been) be upped in line at least with inflation or some travel expense index. Petrol is just one part of the equation.

Just more of the same, in that all the other tax allowances stay frozen or do not go up by the true %, so this is just another stealth tax by the Govt. We should expect nothing else from this lot.

Now he can also use the 'green excuse' for not increasing it.
        In the carp he wrote in response to the online petition there was no mention of the environment. However it was implied the pricing was "fair"
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

The rate is 'OK' if you are a 'regular employee' of a company that you don't own..for example I can get about 400 miles out of a £60 tank of petrol...

If someone else was paying my expenses then I'd get £160 @ 40p per mile

However, since MyCo ends up paying ME then its not far off break even!

Completely ferked when it gets to 25 per mile

Comment

bearing in mind the mileage allowance covers running costs too - 40p and then 25p is nowhere near enough. By making a company car nigh impossible to own withough the killing in tax you pay - a personal car and claiming mileage is the sensible alternative.

I didn't hear of a petition on this? Any more info on what the response from the government was?

Comment

£70.00 for a tank of fuel? - get a smaller car!

PS - filled up mine Sunday - 15 min queue to to 'Panic buying at the pump - £62.00 so mines not that tiny.Worked for umbrella before 07/08 who refused to pay my 40p per mile as they said my fuel receipts were not high enough!

Had a 1600 Turbo Diesel and 10 mile round trip! Ditched the umbrella and the car.
              Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

Garages up here started putting £10 limits on fuel late last week! Which means not even a 1/4 tank for me based on current prices!!

I had a client asking me to work at a different site, 2 hrs drive away and when my invoice came in they questioned the 40p a mile expense as they pay 25p to staff. When i pointed out that staff were using company cars and I was a contractor, we came to an agreement!

Just wondering though - Has anyone specified expenses in a contract before? i.e. overnight rates or mileage allowances?

Comment

Get a car like mine with a wildly innaccurate fuel guage. Then a tank of fuel costs a lot less (because you fill up with a third left ).

To be fair, 40/25p per mile is pretty generous and I've consistently made money on mileage expenses. It is intended to cover general running costs, yes, but that varies enormously according to the car you buy and how you maintain it (i.e. Audi dealer servicing costs a lot more than me changing the oil, filter and plugs myself with parts from ebay).
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by beeker View Post
                    I didn't hear of a petition on this? Any more info on what the response from the government was?
                    I found it in my bin folder: government response

Remember guys carry a passenger for your extra 5p.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X