• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Waving hello

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waving hello

Hi guys,

Considering jumping in the contractor market ( or not ) currently.
    Reading and considering options ( and doing my maths ).

My core skills are systems ( linux / aix ) and backups. A bit of dev some years ago.

Anyone who could reckon is this is the kind of skills that could get me somewhere as a contractor ?

Cheers !

Originally posted by mewn View Post
    Hi guys,

My core skills are systems ( linux / aix ) and backups. A bit of dev some years ago.

Anyone who could reckon is this is the kind of skills that could get me somewhere as a contractor ?

Cheers !

What research has lead you to believe there would be a demand for your skills in a declining contract market ?

Few sties use IBMs failed implementation of UNIX - AIX - altough there the ones that are stuck with AIX are mainly in the banking sector who are currently shedding staff rather than recruiting them.

Good luck whatever you do.
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 10 May 2008, 12:43.

Comment

Hi guys,

Cheers !
      hello

Comment

Hi guys,

Cheers !
        There is guy here called Milan who has part of your skills. On 5 quid an hour (or 5 euros since he moved to eurozone) you still can manage a 10 year old Passat, a bedsit in rural CZ to retire as plan B and an internet connection to post thousands of useless messages on a forum blagging how much 5 euros in Europe buys you more than 5 pounds in England.
        Last edited by Francko; 10 May 2008, 13:04.
        I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko View Post
          There is guy here called Milan who has part of your skills. On 5 quid an hour (or 5 euros since he moved to eurozone) you still can manage a 10 year old Passat, a bedsit in rural CZ to retire as plan B and an internet connection to post thousands of useless messages on a forum blagging how much 5 euros in Europe buys you more than 5 pounds in England.
          You forgot the potato farming
          ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
            Few sties use IBMs failed implementation of UNIX - AIX - altough there the ones that are stuck with AIX are mainly in the banking sector who are currently shedding staff rather than recruiting them.
            You sir are talking balls. Perhaps all the pishy little places you work don't have AIX but I can assure you that lots of places do.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
              You sir are talking balls. Perhaps all the pishy little places you work don't have AIX but I can assure you that lots of places do.
              Care to list a few? Or is it a secret?

Comment

Hi guys,

Cheers !
                Welcome to the contract market from a "failed" contractor - i.e. a permie. Whatever you decide to do, I hope it's the right thing for you and yours. Ignore the miseries who've already posted, they're just bitter and twisted. If it's what you want to do, then go for it.

Good luck from The Moose.

Comment

One of us! One of us! We accept him! Gooble gobble!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBXyB7niEc0

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    Care to list a few? Or is it a secret?
                    Apart from supermarkets, telecoms, insurance, lotteries (not UK), health providers, pharma, manufacturing, retail, utilities, leisure, logistics, government and of course banking, the others are indeed secret

EDIT: forgot stock exchanges

Comment

Working...
                    X