• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

spouse's tax return

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

spouse's tax return

How do you guys fill in self assessment return for your spouse/secretary ?

My accountant confirms that no tax is due but says she has to file return
    and asking me for £60 , on top of £1200 he is getting from me

She has been paid £13k dividend and £4500 salary from my company
    and her other income is £700 out of which she had paid £150 tax at source.

Can I just file it myself ? Do I have to declare 13k divi or (13k*1.1) ?

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post

Sign up for on line self assessment and fill it out. This will deal with all the grossing up of the notional tax credit on the dividend etc.

You don't say whether she is a director or not. If not you might not need to fill in a return for her, depends upon the circumstances. [I'm pretty sure she will with investment income of 13k though]

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/sa/need-tax-return.htm

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
      You don't say whether she is a director or not. If not you might not need to fill in a return for her, depends upon the circumstances. [I'm pretty sure she will with investment income of 13k though
      She is secretary only.My accountant says I have to file return for her since she has been paid divi.

Comment

No reason for an accountant to do it the SA isn't that difficult and you've got at least another 5 months to sort it.

If the missus is a director then you have to do one.

If she an "officer" (ie co secretary) and just takes divis then I think you still have to do one and - according to the SA notes - return a blank employment page.

Also remember to keep your SA consistent with your P35 re the question about divis derived from a service company.

Comment

Whilst I do not know all the details regarding your wife, if she is not a director then based on the income you quite, no tax return would need to be completed.

In such cases, a tax return for a spouse is usually only required if the total income exceeds the higher rate threshold. This doea not appear to be the case here.

Alan

Comment

I read the link I posted.

It says in one part:-

"employees and pensioners with more complex tax affairs - see below"

It says in that part:-

Employees and pensioners with complex tax affairs

You need to fill in a tax return if you:

* have an annual income of £100,000 or more
            * have annual income from savings or investments of £10,000 or more (before tax)
            * claim against tax for expenses or professional subscriptions of £2,500 or more
            * have untaxed income of £2,500 or more (although some pensioners may be able to pay the tax on this through their PAYE tax code)
            * owe tax at the end of the year that cannot be collected through a change to your PAYE tax code for the following year

It seems to me that she is caught by the second bullet with divi of 13k.

Comment

Originally posted by Nixon Williams View Post
              Whilst I do not know all the details regarding your wife, if she is not a director then based on the income you quite, no tax return would need to be completed.

In such cases, a tax return for a spouse is usually only required if the total income exceeds the higher rate threshold. This doea not appear to be the case here.

Alan
              So based on the info , do you think I don't need to file return for her ?
              Amazing how different accountants have different opinions.

Comment

...Can I just file it myself ? ...
                Yes. Why would you think otherwise?

There's no legal reason to have an accountant do your tax return, though you might choose to.

There's no legal reason to have an accountant for your wife's tax return, though you might choose to.

There's no legal reason to have an accountant for your company's accounts either - assuming that the turnover is over the limit. You might still choose to.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I just did the gf's tax return.

Mind you she is a kept woman - not a single penny of income...

Comment

Yep, given all the advice on here, sign up for this, calculate that, even the time taken to read and understand the replies, I'd say the £60 he was proposing to charge you was rip-off and you're about to make a fantastic saving well worth all the time and trouble. Of course if you make a mistake and collect some sort of fine, you'll be liable, not the accountant.

BTW, I hear there are some Tesco 10p off vouchers in today's free newspaper. You probably want to check 'em out too.

Comment

Working...
                    X