• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

60s tower blocks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

60s tower blocks

Can we just knock down these blights on the landscape once and for all?
    Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Not when each ex-council flat is "worth" £200K each in London.

Comment

I won't let that stop me...
      Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

Originally posted by beaker View Post
        Preferably with the chavs inside.

Comment

Originally posted by chicane View Post
          Preferably with the chavs inside.
          Amen to that
          Some people are like slinkys, totally pointless but the thought of pushing them down a flight of stairs never fails to put a smile on your face.

Comment

I thought that the Tricorn centre in Portsmouth was so horrible that it should have been kept as a reminder to future generations on how not to build things .... but it is not there any more.

There are people lobbying to keep the Robin Hood Gardens estate around the corner from me in London. The council want to demolish it, and they should, but there are people that claim it is iconic

Comment

iconic

colonic
              Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

No because some of them have now become listed buildings. They were designed by the architectural gurus of the day and must be preserved.
                I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

You can't flatten all the ugly 60/70's buildings otherwise Swindon would vanish.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                    The monstrous design award winning civic centre in Neath, built 1966, is about to be demolished...
                    That's the first time I've ever heard the words "Neath" and "award winning" in the same sentence.

Comment

Working...
                    X