• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

RAID - any advice...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RAID - any advice...

* Now posted in corect forum!! * I will do a search on the web but any thoughts on what level of RAID to go for if I want a decent file storage device? Are there increased levels of "safety" or do you select the type of RAID according to your needs?

IMO, RAID 5 is the cheapest and suitable for most (except databases).. RAID 10 (or 1+0 if you like) is my preference - striped for performance and mirrored for redundancy, but costs more as you need a minimum of 4 disks, whereas RAID 5 will work fine with 3..
    The "Fit" hits the "Shan"

Comment

What are you after?

Cheap?
      Resiliant?
      Fast?

Pick 2....
      And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
        What are you after?

Cheap?
        Resiliant?
        Fast?

Pick 2....
        Resilliant is highest priority. The other 2 would be opposite ends of the spectrum - cheap is always a bonus but not at the expense of anything else so I would say fast is marginally higher....

Comment

3ware raid card. Best is raid 6 so that if one drive fails, and then another fails during the rebuild there won't be any data loss. Raid 5 is the norm, at least raid 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
            3ware raid card. Best is raid 6 so that if one drive fails, and then another fails during the rebuild there won't be any data loss. Raid 5 is the norm, at least raid 1.
            Got a 3ware 9500S-12 in MyCos server. Ebay special @ £80 a few years ago.

Laptop syncs over the network each tmie I can be arsed (most nights) and the server then syncs to an external HDD every week at midnight.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
              Got a 3ware 9500S-12 in MyCos server. Ebay special @ £80 a few years ago.

Laptop syncs over the network each tmie I can be arsed (most nights) and the server then syncs to an external HDD every week at midnight.
              I think that deserves some Xeno geek points
              ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
                I think that deserves some Xeno geek points
                Why? Is that not the norm?

Comment

The main thing to note is that different RAID levels offer two different main features; performance and data protection.

The various RAID levels offer one or the other or a combination of the two.

Here's a beginners guide:

http://www.storagewiki.com/ow.asp?RAID

Personally in my home 'server' I have the OS running on two drives in RAID 0 array (for performance) and my data is stored on an array of 4 x 500MB drives in a 2TB RAID 5 array (I'm thinking of upgrading to 4 x 1TB).

This gives data security such that if any one of the drives go down you can hot swap a replacement and no data will be lost. This has actually happened to me, twice.

Oh and for the levels which offer protection (via parity), this is at a cost of a percentage of the total storage capacity. For RAID 5 you lose 25%.

You can use a dedicated RAID controller card or use the facilities built in to many motherboards.
                  Last edited by gadgetman; 27 May 2008, 13:27.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
                    Why? Is that not the norm?
                    In my own case it's plug external drive into laptop and run backup at haphazard intervals and hope nothing bad happens
                    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Working...
                    X