• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Strange Wireless Problem

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange Wireless Problem

I have a really strange wireless problem which has only just started occuring.

We share our internet with our neighbours. Our bridge is placed in the a window in the back office of our building. The router (a BT one) is in another section of the building just on the otherside of a very small car park.

The problem occurs when we park our car...and only our car, anywhere near the opposing wall - the building on the otherside of the car park. The wireless goes out. If I move my car back about 10ft. its fine. And it only seems to
    happen with our car. We know its not the router as I can pick up signal from the otherside of the building..whilst we have none in our office.

I've no idea what to do...except park badly in the car park and upset everyone. Anyone out there have any ideas? It only started happening recently. BTW. the car is a ruddy Passat.
    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Buy a bike.

HTH.

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
      I have a really strange wireless problem which has only just started occuring.

We share our internet with our neighbours. Our bridge is placed in the a window in the back office of our building. The router (a BT one) is in another section of the building just on the otherside of a very small car park.

The problem occurs when we park our car...and only our car, anywhere near the opposing wall - the building on the otherside of the car park. The wireless goes out. If I move my car back about 10ft. its fine. And it only seems to
      happen with our car. We know its not the router as I can pick up signal from the otherside of the building..whilst we have none in our office.

I've no idea what to do...except park badly in the car park and upset everyone. Anyone out there have any ideas? It only started happening recently. BTW. the car is a ruddy Passat.
      Get a bigger ariel?
      Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

get a smaller car?
        "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Get a wooden car.

HTH

Comment

This is the technical forums isn't it? not general. If you have no idea. don't post!!
            McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
            Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Could this be the car alarm internal (microwave?) sensors interfering
              Last edited by spoons; 29 May 2008, 10:11. Reason: spoolchucker failure

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
                This is the technical forums isn't it? not general. If you have no idea. don't post!!
                I think they were all valid suggestions
                "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Must be something in your car that is outputting some wireless waves on the same frequency as your router.

Can you change the band used by the router?

Comment

Wifi has a wavelength of about 12cm

Is there something about the car that is less than half this length and which also repeats itself, similar to the metal mesh on the front of the microwave oven. The reason why the oven can have a glass door is because the engery cannot through the holes on the mesh, which are less the half the wavelength.

The problem is describe is most likely interference of some sort especially when you describe the distances you move the car be to improve the signal.
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X