• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Be nice to your HSMP worker

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Be nice to your HSMP worker

Hostility towards immigrants could stop companies attracting highly-skilled workers from abroad, a report has said.

The Work Foundation said skilled migrants were needed in areas such as science, healthcare and technology.

Report author Katerina Rudiger said the UK needed to be seen as an open and attractive place for skilled employees.

Meanwhile, campaigners Migrationwatch say government figures show just 8% of 2.3 million immigrants in the past 16 years came from Eastern Europe.

'Limit work permits'

The Work Foundation said despite the high-profile immigration debate, the number of skilled workers moving to the UK was "relatively low".

It said official figures showed 167,000 highly-skilled workers came to the UK in 2005, but more were needed if Britain was to prosper in a global market.

But Sir Andrew Green, chairman of Migrationwatch, told BBC Radio 4's Today programme a cap should be introduced to limit the length of work permits to four years.

If we are going to say, 'You can come for four years, then you're out' why would anyone try to make a long-term future in UK industry?

This, he said, would provide a "proper incentive" to British employers to train British workers.

"At the moment, if you can take a skilled worker off the shelf, you are going to do so, obviously, especially if your competitors are going to do so," Sir Andrew said.
    Link
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Originally posted by Troll View Post
    "The Work Foundation said skilled migrants were needed in areas such as science, healthcare and technology."

Maybe if technology workers were treated properly it would encourage british people to enter the profession.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      "The Work Foundation said skilled migrants were needed in areas such as science, healthcare and technology."

Maybe if technology workers were treated properly it would encourage british people to enter the profession.
      So being paid on average 20% more than equivalent "professionals" from other areas of engineering and having access to a huge market of contract work, that pays fantastic money for bu**er all commitment is tantamount to exploitation is it?

Try telling that to:

Other engineers,
      Nurses,
      teachers,
      any other trade or profession (with the exception of plumbers... maybe)
      and of course the poorest of all... recruitment consultants.
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
        So being paid on average 20% more than equivalent "professionals" from other areas of engineering and having access to a huge market of contract work, that pays fantastic money for bu**er all commitment is tantamount to exploitation is it?

Try telling that to:

Other engineers,
        Nurses,
        teachers,
        right, lets have a whip round for dodgy

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
          right, lets have a whip round for dodgy

Thanks EO, you are too kind. I do need a new whip to get my lazy contractors to put in some more time
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post

Try telling that to:

Other engineers,
            Nurses,
            teachers,
            I will assume, that due to your profession, you know what you are talking about on rates, BUT...... A train driver earns 40K. Average salaries for Software Engineers at British Aerospace is about 27K.
            I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
            Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
              I will assume, that due to your profession, you know what you are talking about on rates, .

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
                I will assume, that due to your profession, you know what you are talking about on rates, BUT...... A train driver earns 40K. Average salaries for Software Engineers at British Aerospace is about 27K.
                Spivving

Yeah but we don't need any real industry, don't you know?
                We can all cut each other's hair, drive each other around and paint each others toenails for cash.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

A train driver earns 40K. Average salaries for Software Engineers at British Aerospace is about 27K.
                  A friend of mine is a train driver.

He works incredibly unsocial hours and bizarre shifts.
                  He is under constant D&A random testing and therefore cannot drink.
                  His job is extremely high pressure and requires a lot of skill, training (no pun intended) and responsibility.

That is why they are paid more. For a difficult and demanding job that is directly responsible for public safety, and for their skill and indirect opportunity to have a social life.
                  Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

I wasnt deriding train drivers. Just using them as an example.
                    I would suggest nurses and police officers could lay claim to similar rates.

What I am saying is that I think rates for IT are pitiful. Particularly when you consider BAe Systems is responsible for much of our defence equipment. Civil aircraft, nuclear power systems and rail safety equipment offers much the same rates.
                    Dont want to go off on one, but have said many times.
                    No wonder projects fail. Low rates, no status (you clearly respect train drivers over softies) etc.
                    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Working...
                    X