• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If rents a booming and demand for rental property is booming...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If rents a booming and demand for rental property is booming...

...how come:

Well, the main worries for other banks were in Bradford & Bingley's trading update. The group – which is Britain’s biggest buy-to-let mortgage lender – saw bad debts on its buy-to-let mortgages jump by a staggering 50% between the start of the year and the end of April.

More than 3,000 of B&B’s buy-to-let customers are now at least three months behind in their mortgage payments, from less than 2,000 at the start of 2008. Buy-to-let accounts for nearly 60% of the bank’s mortgage book.
    From Money Week.

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    ...how come:

From Money Week.

Havent a lot of BTLers been funding their BTL mortgage with rent? Rate increases outstripping rent rises could kill a few off.
    If there is to be a housing crash then the rental market is going to rise. People have to live somewhere.
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

...how come:

From Money Week.

Perhaps because rents aren't booming in inner-cities where lots of silly folk have bought flats at inflated prices?

Panorama last night was interesting - Birmingham has a large oversupply of flats leading to much reduced rents leading to BTLers not being able to afford the mortgage, leading to... DOOM!!!
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
        Perhaps because rents aren't booming in inner-cities where lots of silly folk have bought flats at inflated prices?

Panorama last night was interesting - Birmingham has a large oversupply of flats leading to much reduced rents leading to BTLers not being able to afford the message, leading to... DOOM!!!
        Good news for AtW.

Comment

It's going to take a while for rents to rise - people have to sell their houses first

Imagine what would happen if interests rates went back into double digits.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
            It's going to take a while for rents to rise - people have to sell their houses first

Imagine what would happen if interests rates went back into double digits.
            Lot of people who were "stretched" on their fixed rate two years ago are going to be "****ed"
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

...how come:

From Money Week.

Perhaps there is more than one type of landlord. The wannabe and the business owner who thinks twice before jumping on the bandwagon after reading 'how to become a property millionaire' in the daily mail.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

<puts plan to invest in BTL on the shelf>
                Last edited by BlasterBates; 3 June 2008, 11:26.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Yep definitely different affects in different areas of the country. The 5000 or so with B+L are most likely to be outside of London. I have been living in Australia for nearly 3 years and nearly had a heart attack when I saw how much the rent has gone up here. Time to put my boardies and thongs on (maaaaate) and head back!!

Comment

Working...
                  X