• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When to break it to the client you aren't renewing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When to break it to the client you aren't renewing

Wondered if anyone could help with a minor moral dilemma I'm finding myself in at the minute.

My contract expires in 2 weeks and the client (via the agency) has asked me to renew. I've not given any indication that I will be but the general feeling I get from them is that its expected without them even having asked me directly.

Now I virtually have a better contract lined up, not signed the contract yet mind so could all fall through but no reason to suspect it will. The question is when is the right time to break it to the current client I may be leaving.

If I do it too early then if the prospective contract doesn't come through I might be left high and dry with the client rescinding the extension offer (depends how much they want to cut their nose off to spite their face). If I do it too late then I think I can guess the outcome, pee the agency and client off and never get a contract from either again. Also I don't want to do this as the people (if not the contract) have been really good to me. Seem to be stuck between being selfless and selfish, finding it had to take the impersonal business like approach.

Just wondered what the majority of people's approach to this has been?

Cheers,
    Chris

You have to protect yourself and your own interests. You do not have any contractual obligation to let them know you will be accepting an extension. The only moral objection would be if you'd verbally accepted the extension offer then dumped them. Personally I would stall them until you are sure one way or the other. Allow them to think it's a done deal if they want, as long as you haven't said that.
    Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Here is one approach, which considers the consequences of not continuing a commercial relationship with your existing client. You should discuss the requirements with your client, and tell them that that you are meeting with other clients to discuss their requirements.

This is one of the main problems in the this industry, that the clients are extremely focussed on WHO does work, rather than WHAT work gets done, which does make it hard or impossible to delegate work to someone else in your business.

Looking at it from the client perspective, I would not see it as very professional if you told me on the Friday afternoon that you were not going to be here on the Monday, and left requirements unfulfilled. Every supplier that has ever done work for me has taken the view that my business will be their client forever. Finding clients is a Very Expensive exercise, and clients should not be thrown away.

Comment

Originally posted by Integrity View Post
        Here is one approach, which considers the consequences of not continuing a commercial relationship with your existing client. You should discuss the requirements with your client, and tell them that that you are meeting with other clients to discuss their requirements.

This is one of the main problems in the this industry, that the clients are extremely focussed on WHO does work, rather than WHAT work gets done, which does make it hard or impossible to delegate work to someone else in your business.

Looking at it from the client perspective, I would not see it as very professional if you told me on the Friday afternoon that you were not going to be here on the Monday, and left requirements unfulfilled. Every supplier that has ever done work for me has taken the view that my business will be their client forever. Finding clients is a Very Expensive exercise, and clients should not be thrown away.
        Depends entirely on what you do. Finding clients has cost me nothing so far.
        ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Take as much time as you need to make a decision. Just make sure you communicate well with all parties.

You'll also probably find that the new contract will allow the plug to be pulled with no notice at any time up to you starting at client site. That's contracting but bear it in mind...
          Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
            Depends entirely on what you do. Finding clients has cost me nothing so far.
            Are all your clients direct?

Comment

Working...
            X