• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client has ended relationship with my agent. What do I do?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client has ended relationship with my agent. What do I do?

My client and the agent I contract through are about to part ways, due to being unable to resolve issues with their contract.

My contract with my agent says I cannot work for the client, in a similar role, for 12 months after the end of the contract. Presumably to stop me working directly for them.

I would very much like to continue working for this client and they have already sourced another agent, which I am happy to work through. As the break in relationship was nothing to do with me, can I switch to this other agent and not expect legal action to be taken by my current agents? I fail to see how they can justifiably stop me from earning due to reasons beyond my control, but would like clarification from those more experienced in this matter.

Any help with this would be very much appreciated, it seems like the ball will start next week (Monday June 30th 2008)

Thank you!

I am not sure if the legal positon has a lot to do with it, it depends more on how amicable the split was and whether the agency would want to be bloody minded. In similar situations before I have found agencies will allow you to move to the other agency. Best to ask them in first instance although they will probably inform you anyway.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

A lot of these questions come with the standard answer:

"ask the endCo/Agency only they can tell you"

I think we need a smilie to cover it.
      Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Of course they actually have to catch you working at the client.

Comment

Thats not as hard to do as you may think... all they have to do is come across your CV again once its been updated and if the recruiter is even remotely on the ball they will notice that you continued working for the company after the two split ways...

It happened to a friend contracting for a large supermarket chain... It wasn't quite the same situation as the company and agency hadn't split... the friend just went somewhere else for 3 months, the company wanted him back, contacted him directly and hired him, the agency got wind somehow and kicked up a right stink as they said he should have been back through them. The company in the end capitulated at the threat of legal action on both the company and my mate and he went back through the agency... but he was real worried for a bit... It all depends on how bloody minded the agency really wants to be!

The advice of talking to both parties is good advice, but I would suggest that the company you want to continue working for are in the better position to put pressure on the agency to let you stay rather than you. Really depends on how well you get on with both parties I guess.
          TAZForum
          ITExperts

Comment

This happened at one of my recent clients (but not to me, thankfully). The agency was out of the door immediately. Contractors through them worked to the end of their contracts and then were similarly out of the door. Handcuff clauses were enforced.

So I should start looking for the next gig.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
              This happened at one of my recent clients (but not to me, thankfully). The agency was out of the door immediately. Contractors through them worked to the end of their contracts and then were similarly out of the door. Handcuff clauses were enforced.

So I should start looking for the next gig.
              The alternative here is to negotiate a direct contract, and agree to pay the agent a commission for a period of time on future work with that client.

Comment

It happened at a gig of mine, agency was messing the end client about and ended up losing the contract. It went to two different suppliers and the contractors were shifted over.

And these were BIG agencies and a BIG client
                "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Working...
                X