• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Salary between contracts / on a break

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Salary between contracts / on a break

Hi,

I am planning to take a break from work and will not be billing my client company.
    My questions is: does my ltd company pay me a salary while I'm not actually billing a client?

If yes, then let's assume that I have £10000 in my business bank account. Will I continue to get paid a salary till I exhaust this 10K or does a chunk of it have to be set aside for Corporate tax etc?

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by rt5mrt View Post
    Hi,

I am planning to take a break from work and will not be billing my client company.
    My questions is: does my ltd company pay me a salary while I'm not actually billing a client?

If yes, then let's assume that I have £10000 in my business bank account. Will I continue to get paid a salary till I exhaust this 10K or does a chunk of it have to be set aside for Corporate tax etc?

Thanks in advance.
    ALWAYS keep the ltd company and yourself separate. They are 2 different things, that is the point of a company.
    Therefore, contrary to the intuitive feeling that what is going on here is you working for the client, actually you are working for the ltd company, and it is (hopefully) doing some business that makes it some money.
    If the company is not for the moment providing billable services to the client, it will generally not be able to bill the client. The director(s) of the ltd company will therefore have to make decisions about whether they can and will pay salary, given the condition of the business.

The director(s) of the ltd company is/are of course responsible for ensuring that the ltd company can meet its obligations, in particular any taxes that may be due.

IOW the company can pay you a salary if it is able to; but if it gives away the tax money it owes, Hector will be very cross.

Comment

If it's your company, it's your decision. But generally yes. Does a shop still pay its staff on days when they happen not to sell anything?

Comment

Cheaper to (tax wise) pay a divi instead?
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
          IOW the company can pay you a salary if it is able to; but if it gives away the tax money it owes, Hector will be very cross.
          WHS - make sure you have enough funds for taxes. I'm not billing clients at the moment but I am continuing to pay my wife and I salaries.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Thanks!

Thank you all. I suppose I need to have a chat with my accountant and see how much I can pay myself, while keeping aside enough for taxes.

Cheers!

Comment

Thank you all. I suppose I need to have a chat with my accountant and see how much I can pay myself, while keeping aside enough for taxes.
              Cheers!
              Surely you should be doing it t'other way round? It's often most wise to work out your taxes first before wondering how much to pay yourself.
              Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Cheers!
                It gets a bit complicated because salary counts against coporation tax. If you paid out all the money you've earned in this company year as salary, then you won't make a profit and have no CT to pay. However, if you've paid some dividends you need to make sure that you make at least enough profit over the year to cover the dividends - a good reason not to just pay monthly dividends as if it were salary (not that anybody would do that).

And don't forget VAT and accountancy fees.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                X