• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Default printer office 2003

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Default printer office 2003

I need to set a different default printer for office applications that the normal default printer. I can't find a way to do this. Any ideas ?

Originally posted by ASB View Post
    I need to set a different default printer for office applications that the normal default printer. I can't find a way to do this. Any ideas ?
    (Response Deleted - I didn't read the Q properly)

Comment

MS products (and every Windows product I've used, come to think of it) use the MS Windows default printer.

Comment

Not sure of the details but possibly you could define a document template using VBA to set the required printer on open. Not much use for new docs of course.

Or maybe you could use addins in same way, an addin can be just a document/worksheet etc with some vba in the open event. Quite how you run an addin when you open word, excel etc I am not sure.

Mr Vagueness
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by dmini View Post
          MS products (and every Windows product I've used, come to think of it) use the MS Windows default printer.
          Yeas I know, but I've just got this nagging feeling that there was a way to do it but my old notebook is long gone.

The actual problem is that some software I use access the parallel port through LPT1. There is a hardware dongle there and this needs to respond in an appropriate manner. This means I have to have a default printer of generic/text only since that's the only way I can get the dongle protected software to run.

Of course this means that all my word docs only offer me the font from the default printer - i.e. device font; so I have to go print and then set the printer to "image writing" or whatever it is. It wouldn't be so annoying if it would at least have the decency to remember I'd done that between edits.

Bah.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
            Not sure of the details but possibly you could define a document template using VBA to set the required printer on open. Not much use for new docs of course.

Or maybe you could use addins in same way, an addin can be just a document/worksheet etc with some vba in the open event. Quite how you run an addin when you open word, excel etc I am not sure.

Mr Vagueness
            Certainly a good idea, but when I was searching MSDN it seemed to suggest that one of the things you couldn't do was change the printer.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
              Certainly a good idea, but when I was searching MSDN it seemed to suggest that one of the things you couldn't do was change the printer.
              You might be able to do it in WSH, have it run at startup.
              Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

In Xp I thought it was just

Start

Printers and faxes

Then use the right mouse button on the one you wanted and select set as default.

For about £20 from scan you can get a cheap print server meaning, if you have a router you can avoid having to print to your LPT1 port on your computer.
                Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

ok - I'm assuming your printer is connected to lpt1: then? If on USB then no issue
                  Assuming you can still print to it, why not share the printeron your PC and then attach to the shared version - which you set as default. Suspect this won't work though - the dongle will block it
                  Otherwise take the easy route and use one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/LINDY-USB-Pa.../dp/B00008A92O

Comment

Originally posted by dmini View Post
                    ok - I'm assuming your printer is connected to lpt1: then? If on USB then no issue
                    Assuming you can still print to it, why not share the printeron your PC and then attach to the shared version - which you set as default. Suspect this won't work though - the dongle will block it
                    Otherwise take the easy route and use one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/LINDY-USB-Pa.../dp/B00008A92O
                    Firstly I don't actually have a printer. Secondly the dongle doesn't work unless there is a printer configured as Generic/Text only configured on POS1.

Hence I think I'm banjaxed.

Comment

Working...
                    X