• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

AVG 8 Issues

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AVG 8 Issues

Has anyone taken the latest update for AVG 8. I took a program update last night and since then AVG hasn't started.

I think I might uninstall and re-install unless some uber geeks can give me a little guidance.

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
    Has anyone taken the latest update for AVG 8. I took a program update last night and since then AVG hasn't started.

I think I might uninstall and re-install unless some uber geeks can give me a little guidance.
    I just checked mine(on the other PC) and it looks good. I think you need a forum where you get computer geeks.

Comment

Funnily enough, I was going to start a thread on this!

Some people have no problems. If you search you'll find plenty who do have issues though. I've got an issue with Outlook 2003 crashing, defo an AVG8 problem. Also I hated the new browser pluggin which visits all the links on the search results page flagging which ones are safe.

My son says his PC has really slowed down since I "upgraded" it to AVG8.

I've reverted to v7.5

Comment

It locked up for me on my wife's XP laptop so it never went through the configuration prompts.

I had to set them all manually.

Then it would not download updates. You have to fetch one with an explicit path to patch the downloader to get that working again.

Then it spent a week causing the laptop to 'pause' for 10 minutes on loading up.

I'm beginning to think AVG 8 is worth what it costs.
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

IIWY, I'd throw AVG away and download Avast! Home version which is free for home use and simply a very, very good anti virus application. HTH.
          Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
          Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

I refer the Honourable gentlemen to this

£37 you tightwads, you are contractors and loaded I presume

Freebie freaks
            Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

£37 That's nearly a decent bottle of wine
              Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
              Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Ditch AVG, it's bloated and will slow your machine down and is causing some serious network traffic issues for a lot of other people.

Avira AntiVir is free, lightweight and works just fine.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                  IIWY, I'd throw AVG away and download Avast! Home version which is free for home use and simply a very, very good anti virus application. HTH.
                  Seconded.
                  ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

No real problems with AVG 8.0.138 free version here, but that safe search feature is dung and has to go. I switched it off as soon as I suffered it

C:\avg_free_stf_xxxx.exe /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSurf /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSearch
                    Moving to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon

Comment

Working...
                    X