• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Some info please re tax and a Irish contract.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some info please re tax and a Irish contract.

Guys,

I'm being interviewed next week for a contract in Dublin - Ireland and I need a bit of advice on the best solution tax wise for me if I got the job from all you who have worked out there.

As a quick bit of background, I started contracting about 10 months ago and am based in the uk. As it was my first contract and was a 3 monther, I went down the umbrella route. I then stuck to using them for the 10 months of that contract as I found out it would have been deemed inside IR35.

That contract came to and end and just as it did, pretty much the exact same role at the same companies office in Ireland came up, so I applied for it and now have the interview.

Ok now on to the questions.

1: I'm assuming that even though it's the same company, because the new contract is based in Ireland i.e outside UK, that if I get it and it lasted say 15 months, at some point in future hector UK won't decide that because I started working for company in the uk first before going to Ireland, that I've gone past the 2 year rule with it being the same company?

2: Regarding tax. The Irish agency have already said they will only deal with a Irish company. I know this gives me 2 options of irish limited (quite a hassle to setup apparently), or irish umbrella.

Now I assume that this means I'll be paying some sort of tax in Ireland from the start! However the problem is that because it's a relatively short contract (6 months), and the hassle of setting up the Irish LTD, I'm leaning towards the umbrella option again.

The umbrella would be paying the money in to my UK bank account, but I'm not sure if this would leave me open to some sort of UK tax?

3: The company in Ireland have already hinted that there likely would be a renewal at the end of 6 months. I'm aware of the 180(ish) day rule but am unsure as to how this would effect the above options?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Rob

Other options?

Originally posted by hi_robb View Post
    Guys,

I'm being interviewed next week for a contract in Dublin - Ireland and I need a bit of advice on the best solution tax wise for me if I got the job from all you who have worked out there.

As a quick bit of background, I started contracting about 10 months ago and am based in the uk. As it was my first contract and was a 3 monther, I went down the umbrella route. I then stuck to using them for the 10 months of that contract as I found out it would have been deemed inside IR35.

That contract came to and end and just as it did, pretty much the exact same role at the same companies office in Ireland came up, so I applied for it and now have the interview.

Ok now on to the questions.

1: I'm assuming that even though it's the same company, because the new contract is based in Ireland i.e outside UK, that if I get it and it lasted say 15 months, at some point in future hector UK won't decide that because I started working for company in the uk first before going to Ireland, that I've gone past the 2 year rule with it being the same company?

2: Regarding tax. The Irish agency have already said they will only deal with a Irish company. I know this gives me 2 options of irish limited (quite a hassle to setup apparently), or irish umbrella.

Now I assume that this means I'll be paying some sort of tax in Ireland from the start! However the problem is that because it's a relatively short contract (6 months), and the hassle of setting up the Irish LTD, I'm leaning towards the umbrella option again.

The umbrella would be paying the money in to my UK bank account, but I'm not sure if this would leave me open to some sort of UK tax?

3: The company in Ireland have already hinted that there likely would be a renewal at the end of 6 months. I'm aware of the 180(ish) day rule but am unsure as to how this would effect the above options?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Rob
    What is you situation in the UK, house, wife, kids or single?

If single then do a bunk to Ireland for 6 months +, it may turn out longer as you say!

I always try the other options, sometimes it works, sometimes it does not but overall I am better off from that approach.

Comment

Originally posted by Magic View Post
      What is you situation in the UK, house, wife, kids or single?

If single then do a bunk to Ireland for 6 months +, it may turn out longer as you say!

I always try the other options, sometimes it works, sometimes it does not but overall I am better off from that approach.
      Status in the UK is.

Co-habiting - other halfs house, 2 kids which are both mine.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Comment

Difficult

Originally posted by hi_robb View Post
        Status in the UK is.

Co-habiting - other halfs house, 2 kids which are both mine.

Thanks for the replies so far.
        I assume you are going to be traveling back and forwards each weekend?

If so then you need to be careful, even though there is double taxation treaties your home remains UK, work taxation would be Ireland. In theory you could then have to pay work tax should we call it in Ireland and CG and other in UK if you have nay assets there, depends on personal circumstances.

Most probably I would opt for umbrella company for first 6 months, if you really like it there, invite the other half, discuss if you want to move there, if so organize you affairs to relocate there.

Really depends if you see this as long term contract, plus want to move from where you are, if not keep it simple, take the money and enjoy the life.

Comment

Working...
        X