• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractor + agency - contracting additional staff

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contractor + agency - contracting additional staff

I work thorugh an agency for a very large employer, and have been extended several times. Another department may be interested in me doing additional work for them and have also mentioned that there may be seeking additional contractors. Can I provide contractor staff to the employer direct or do I have to go through my agency for them as well?

I cant see anything in my contract to prevent this.

Originally posted by housesforcourses View Post
    I work thorugh an agency for a very large employer, and have been extended several times. Another department may be interested in me doing additional work for them and have also mentioned that there may be seeking additional contractors. Can I provide contractor staff to the employer direct or do I have to go through my agency for them as well?

In that case I can't think of any reason that should prevent you from doing it. Don't forget to think like an agent now, your minimum margin for getting them the gig is 20%. Boomed!

Comment

Your contract is your contract.
      If your contract doesnt say anything about supplying others then you have no problems.
      You need to check that your client does not have some kind of agreement with the agent.

You should be able to modify your Ltd to be an agent, but .......

this may not be as easy as you think. Do you have the cash flow to pay the extra contractors even if the client does not pay you for 3-6 months? Do you have the right insurances and other legal support? There is more to being an agent than introducing contractors to clients.

You could always negotiate a finders fee with the client and let your contractors go direct (if the client will wear it).
      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
        You should be able to modify your Ltd to be an agent, but .......
        Pardon my ignorance but would you need to do this? Could you not just setup a Business to Business relationship between your Ltd and the respective Ltd's of each contractor? i.e. you invoice client for all their fees, they invoice you etc etc?

Comment

Originally posted by housesforcourses View Post

Just out of interest.... what type of work are they looking to fill?
          If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
            Pardon my ignorance but would you need to do this? Could you not just setup a Business to Business relationship between your Ltd and the respective Ltd's of each contractor? i.e. you invoice client for all their fees, they invoice you etc etc?
            I am not an expert. I was suggesting it should be possible to do, but he may have to make some changes.
            It is up to him to do the research.
            It may even be a good IR35 pointer for a substitute clause. If he contracts to do the work and then subcontracts it out.
            BUT....
            he will only get the rate he has agreed and that will be in the chain from his agent. He will struggle to get contractors in for a reduced rate.

To circumnavigate the agent and get the agency rate he will have to set up that relationship with the client. There may be issues I am not aware of.

I am just pointing out issues I can see. I cant be arsed to do the research for someone else.
            I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
            Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Working...
            X