• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New laptop time

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New laptop time

Hello!!

So its laptop time again. This one is managing to annoy me, as I've been using it while working abroad for the last 2 months, and its not good enough for 100% use.

Any recomendations?

Need to be able to develop on it (although will mainly develop on my desktop still), visual studio/commerce server/moss.
    Big resolution would be nice, needs to be semi portable, so 14/15 inch. Will upgrade to 4gb of ram even if it hasn't got it, 7200rpm hard disk.

Thinking Lenovo T61 as its got massive res. but abit pricey. any thing else to have a look at?

Cheers

I have a 12 month old AMD powered ACER Aspire laptop 15.4 wide screen that I've just upgraded to 4Gb memory and I'll get another year out of it now, I think. A good machine, very reliable running XP Pro SP2.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Mehmeh View Post
      Hello!!

So its laptop time again. This one is managing to annoy me, as I've been using it while working abroad for the last 2 months, and its not good enough for 100% use.

Any recomendations?

Need to be able to develop on it (although will mainly develop on my desktop still), visual studio/commerce server/moss.
      Big resolution would be nice, needs to be semi portable, so 14/15 inch. Will upgrade to 4gb of ram even if it hasn't got it, 7200rpm hard disk.

Thinking Lenovo T61 as its got massive res. but abit pricey. any thing else to have a look at?

Cheers
      Avoid Dell. Sony is an ok lappie. Had no hardware problems with it, and is about 8 months old.
      If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
        Avoid Dell. Sony is an ok lappie. Had no hardware problems with it, and is about 8 months old.
        Personally, I love my Dell D620

Then again, it is on long term loan from a previous gig!!

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
          Personally, I love my Dell D620

Then again, it is on long term loan from a previous gig!!
          Is that with or without the TPM module? I had a Dell Inspiron 1300 (or whatever it is called). A bit of a crap laptop. DVD drive kept on breaking my CD's, even after the third DVD drive replacement. Worked out better for me to get a new laptop in the end.
          If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

I've got a Dell Precision M65
            2.16Ghz Intel Core2
            2GB Ram
            15.4" 1920x1200 screen

Works a treat, SQL Server, VM images, Visual Studio etc...
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Mehmeh View Post
              The Lenovo is a great unit - I think I might spend the extra and get one next time.

Other than that I know several people who develop on Dell Vostro laptops, and Asus also seem to be building a good reputation.

I have a Rock Pegasus 670 at the moment - pretty powerful but I've had some reliability issues.
              Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

I love my Dell XPS M1710. Not really a portable but, it's more of a desktop replacement. For the next one I probably get another Dell XPS but the 15" version.

Comment

Avoid Dell. Sony is an ok lappie.
                  "about twice the price for the privilege of the brand name"

Comment

Originally posted by EvilWeevil View Post
                    "about twice the price for the privilege of the brand name"
                    The Sony Laptop has a reasonable good hardware base. Worth paying the extra.

Comment

Working...
                    X