PDA

View Full Version : Painting radiators

Wilmslow
5th August 2008, 20:07
Need to paint the radiators in the bungalow I am getting.

What is the preferred method?

1. Strip off the old paint, and repaint with special radiator paint?

2. Gloss

3. Undercoat, then gloss?

Buy shares in Dulux - they will be booming over the next couple of months...

NickFitz
5th August 2008, 20:14
Knock holes in the roof and burn wood in the centre of the room you wish to heat.

Wilmslow
5th August 2008, 20:15
Knock holes in the roof and burn wood in the centre of the room you wish to heat.

Had enough burning wood today (chipboard lorry fire on the M62 and 3 hours parked up....)

BrilloPad
5th August 2008, 20:22

2. Gloss

My sister works for the former ICI (its some Dutch company now) - you hgave just gone up in my estimation!

miffy
5th August 2008, 20:28
Depends if they've been painted many times before. If that’s the case (and they’re shabby), I’d change them for new ones, it's a lot less hassle.

The way gas bills are rising I'd also look at swapping the boiler for an A rated jobbie as well. I'm thinking of swapping mine next month as it's about 12 years old.

If you really want to paint them, I've taken two approaches in the past.

1) Rub down the radiator and simply paint them using radiator paint (don't use ordinary gloss as most paints turn yellow pretty quickly with the heat). Use an undercoat if they are anything other than white at the moment. I've also found the quick drying radiator paint is tulip.

2) Remove the radiators one at a time. Key the existing paint, prime and spray them in the garage. I used basic white car paint to do the last lot. They turned out pretty well with a really nice finish.

The big question on my mind is have you ordered a king size orthopaedic bed for your bungalow yet?

<<canned laughter>>

Wilmslow
5th August 2008, 20:36
Depends if they've been painted many times before. If that’s the case (and they’re shabby), I’d change them for new ones, it's a lot less hassle.

The way gas bills are rising I'd also look at swapping the boiler for an A rated jobbie as well. I'm thinking of swapping mine next month as it's about 12 years old.

If you really want to paint them, I've taken two approaches in the past.

1) Rub down the radiator and simply paint them using radiator paint (don't use ordinary gloss as most paints turn yellow pretty quickly with the heat). Use an undercoat if they are anything other than white at the moment. I've also found the quick drying radiator paint is tulip.

2) Remove the radiators one at a time. Key the existing paint, prime and spray them in the garage. I used basic white car paint to do the last lot. They turned out pretty well with a really nice finish.

The big question on my mind is have you ordered a king size orthopaedic bed for your bungalow yet?

<<canned laughter>>

I actually have a queen sized ortho bed.....

Bob Dalek
5th August 2008, 20:47
Unless architecturally wonderful, bin 'em and buy new. Cheapskate!

NickFitz
5th August 2008, 20:53
Unless architecturally wonderful, bin 'em and buy new. Cheapskate!

:spel Permy

What he needs to do is find a contractor's house that's being done up, and get the discarded-but-perfectly-painted radiators out of the skip.

Diver
5th August 2008, 20:54
Rads are dirt cheap, but to be honest, go for a Baxi Duo-Tec 33 HE Combi Boiler, A rated. and have a complete new system installed with thermostatic valves on all rads.
I had one installed here in January and it's brilliant.

Don't forget to have your loft and cavity walls insulated on the government grant. Only about £150 for each. makes a hell of a difference and a big saving in heating costs.

TykeMerc
5th August 2008, 21:24
Don't forget to have your loft and cavity walls insulated on the government grant. Only about £150 for each. makes a hell of a difference and a big saving in heating costs.

Wish I could, but they don't cover pitched rooves in attics, only lofts and my house has a plastered attic and no cavity stone walls. I've looked into it in the last week and run into a brick wall (pun not intended).

blacjac
5th August 2008, 21:43

Wish I could, but I'm such a moron that I take a permie role because I want to be part of the corporation (even though there are much more lucrative contracts on offer), that I wouldn't be able to handle a phone call to the government, let alone fill out a form.

Wilmslow.

Diver
5th August 2008, 21:47
Wish I could, but I'm such a moron that I take a permie role because I want to be part of the corporation (even though there are much more lucrative contracts on offer), that I wouldn't be able to handle a phone call to the government, let alone fill out a form.

Wilmslow.

http://www.cavitywallinsulation.org.uk/areas.html

blacjac
5th August 2008, 21:50

Wilmslow.

http://www.cavitywallinsulation.org.uk/areas.html

My Street isn't listed, what should I do???

a) Take a permie job as I can't cut it in the real world
b) Tell my life story to some strangers on the internet
c) Let some stranger piss on my shoes

Wilmslow

Diver
5th August 2008, 22:15

Wilmslow

D :D

NickFitz
6th August 2008, 01:47

Wilmslow

Obvious, innit?

Take your shoes off, kneel, and offer them as substitute urinals when your "superior" needs a "comfort break".

This is how you rise within the company... or at least hold on until the second round of redundancies.

Honestly, some of you contractors talk like you've never held down a permy job in yer lives :rolleyes:

milanbenes
6th August 2008, 08:46
Wilmslowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

--------------------------

2. Gloss

--------------------------

Fantastic episode, love it.

Milan.

Churchill
6th August 2008, 08:50

2. Gloss

The preferred method for you dear boy is to f**k off to the B&Q forum!

Oh FFS!

Clippy
6th August 2008, 08:52
Wilmslow

Please let us know once you have finished painting your radiators so we can watch the paint dry - far more entertaining than your drivel on here.

Diver
6th August 2008, 08:58
You carry on Wilmslow old buddy. Ignore these jealous tossers :D

Churchill
6th August 2008, 09:02
You carry on Wilmslow old buddy. Ignore these jealous tossers :D

Oh yes, hear that?

That is the sound of me jealously tossing!

(I think not!):eek

milanbenes
6th August 2008, 09:04
yeah Wilmslooooooooooooooooooooooow

don't let these boring old farts bring you down

they haven't lived and are jealous

Milan.

Diver
6th August 2008, 09:06
Oh yes, hear that?

That is the sound of me jealously tossing!

(I think not!):eek

You want to Be Wilmslow-----Admit it dog

Churchill
6th August 2008, 09:12
You want to Be Wilmslow-----Admit it dog

Bugger, pwned!