• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

comp car calculator

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

comp car calculator

Hi
    I am just trying to decide if its worth my company buying it for the first year, and then me buying it from them after e.g. 12 months.

My thinking is as follows :-

Say list price of car excluding VED and First reg fee £17,102

Value for P11D purposes £17,102

Price of optional accessories £1,000

Capital contributions £0

Amount paid annually for private use of the car £0

Tax Year to 5th April 2004/5 2005/6 2006/7 and 2007/8
    Percentage charge 19% 20% 20%
    Benefit in kind £3,439 £3,620 £3,620

Tax payable at 22% £757 £796 £796
    Tax payable at 40% £1,376 £1,448 £1,448

So, if the comp buys it, it'll cost me gross of 3620 pounds extra (which my company could pay me to cover the cost).
    So, in year 1,
    the total cost to the company of the car = 17102+ 3620 = £20722

If I then decide to buy the car for , say £11000 1 year from now ( this is typical depreciation on a new car) , the company would need to pay me approx £20000 ( 11 for me and 9 for the tax man) to allow me to buy it
    i.e. I would then give the company £11K (to buy the car),

So total cost to the company over 12 months = 20722+20000-11000 =
    £29722

I would then own the car.

If the company gives me the cash to buy the car today, for me to get 17K net, the company would need to give me ~32K

So , as long as the depreciation is high for the first year, it would appear that it is better for the company to take the hit on the depreciation , and me buy it after the main depreciation has happened ?

Obviously for the purpose of this exercise, I have ignored the +ve and /or -ve effects which thew company owning the car would have on Corp Tax and also NatIns contributions ,etc. Has anybody got a little Excel spreadsheet where I can input the numbers in (including depreciation ,etc) so as I can try to get an idea ?

Thanks

Actually diesel is fine - I have it on my Weetabix every day. Along with the Shiraz ...

Comment

Working...
    X