• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

to close or not to close, that is the question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

to close or not to close, that is the question

I will be travelling the globe for five or six months in a few months time.
    So I won't be in the UK to submit returns, run the company etc.
    If I apply for ESC16 Capital Gains Tax and pay 10% tax on monies left in business account after corp tax has been paid I would still have enough to buy a flat - cash - no mortgage - which in the long run would save quite a lot (If i just do the usual salary + divs it would take years to get the dosh out so I would need a fair old mortgage)

Am I missing something or is that actually the best thing to do in terms of long term personal wealth? After all, it is a lot of hastle closing your company down and applying for ESC16 etc...
    Last edited by hgllgh; 21 August 2008, 14:25.

You need an accountant to do the sums properly, but on the face of it, it looks like a good idea to me...
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I suppose the only risk with thsi kind of strategy is that my whole career earnings would be tied up in a property which initially would probably be going down in value as opposed to up in value in a savings account?

Even so, saving over a grand a month not having to pay mortgage interest would still win out?

Comment

Originally posted by hgllgh View Post
        I will be travelling the globe for five or six months in a few months time.
        So I won't be in the UK to submit returns, run the company etc.
        If I apply for ESC16 Capital Gains Tax and pay 10% tax on monies left in business account after corp tax has been paid I would still have enough to buy a flat - cash - no mortgage - which in the long run would save quite a lot (If i just do the usual salary + divs it would take years to get the dosh out so I would need a fair old mortgage)

Am I missing something or is that actually the best thing to do in terms of long term personal wealth? After all, it is a lot of hastle closing your company down and applying for ESC16 etc...
        Would it be possible to get a family member who isn't travelling with you to act as a company secretary / director and sign your returns on your behalf, therefore leaving some money in the business for when you return to contracting?
        If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
          Would it be possible to get a family member who isn't travelling with you to act as a company secretary / director and sign your returns on your behalf, therefore leaving some money in the business for when you return to contracting?
          Or an accountant?

Hang on - PLAN B - I'll do it (for a fee)

Comment

Originally posted by BA to the Stars View Post
            Or an accountant?

Hang on - PLAN B - I'll do it (for a fee)
            Good plan B. Can I get a cut for indirectly helping you get that idea?
            If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post

Maybe, but that would defeat the object wouldn't it. The point is that I have an excuse to close the company down as I will be travelling, enabling me to get at the money and avoid a mortgage...

Comment

Originally posted by hgllgh View Post
                Maybe, but that would defeat the object wouldn't it. The point is that I have an excuse to close the company down as I will be travelling, enabling me to get at the money and avoid a mortgage...
                Dunno if it would defeat the object.... I just see it as unecessary hassle. Surely you (as the individual and not the company) may still have to pay tax on the money that you take out of the business in the form of self assessment. Why not just take the amount you need as a loan and give yourself 0% dividends until the loan has been paid off?

However, I can see myself missing the point.

Comment

That's why I sugested an accountant in the first place. This is all pure conjecture and may be wrong - and don't quote me on the numbers (accountants, where are you!) - but you can take the net value of the company out at 10% CGT and put it into something that will accumulate (slowly, admittedly, but it will at least stay with inflation over time) for a few years and then release it. At the same time you are not spending £1k a month repaying a loan of around the same size as your released capital.

That has to be better than taking it out at 23% marginal tax and getting 5% net for it, surely?
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

but again ... it all comes back to getting the money out of the business account and working for you ....

For arguements sake (but the figures are roughly accurate)...

200K released capital in a cash account at 5% is 10K a year interest.
                    this would cover my rent.

200K released capital uset to buy a flat instead of 5% mortgage interest rate is 10K a year saved.

The only downside is paying the 10% CGT rather than than trying to extract the divs at 0% below the higher earnings threshold.

Yeh ... need to talk to an accountant ... anyone recommend an accountant who has can offer me good advice?

Comment

Working...
                    X