• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Late payment - County Court, Debt Collector or Baseball Bat?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Late payment - County Court, Debt Collector or Baseball Bat?

I have recently finished a 6 month software development contract and I am still waiting on the final few payments.

The contract contains a clause which states that the payment terms are either 30 days or when the client pays the agency, whichever is the later. The last couple of payments have been delayed by 16 or 17 days past the 30 day date, and I am now chasing a payment which is 18 days late.

I have been calling the agency trying to get payment out of them, and they initially maintained that the client hasn't paid them yet.

When I contacted the client directly, they refused to confirm whether they have paid the agency, saying that the arrangement between the client and the agency is none of my business, however they did say that normal turnaround time on invoices is 48 hours. I told the agency this and they are now "making inquiries". The agency have stopped saying that they have not been paid by the client.

What is the best approach in this situation? I have considered legal action, referral to a debt collection agency and a visit to the agency armed with a baseball bat, but I would like to get some opinions on the best course of action. Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.

or when the client pays the agency, whichever is the later

You're screwed. And do a search on here for late payment.

Comment

Originally posted by peter.butler View Post
      I have recently finished a 6 month software development contract and I am still waiting on the final few payments.

The contract contains a clause which states that the payment terms are either 30 days or when the client pays the agency, whichever is the later. The last couple of payments have been delayed by 16 or 17 days past the 30 day date, and I am now chasing a payment which is 18 days late.

I have been calling the agency trying to get payment out of them, and they initially maintained that the client hasn't paid them yet.

When I contacted the client directly, they refused to confirm whether they have paid the agency, saying that the arrangement between the client and the agency is none of my business, however they did say that normal turnaround time on invoices is 48 hours. I told the agency this and they are now "making inquiries". The agency have stopped saying that they have not been paid by the client.

What is the best approach in this situation? I have considered legal action, referral to a debt collection agency and a visit to the agency armed with a baseball bat, but I would like to get some opinions on the best course of action. Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.
      As already stated, you could be screwed. However, if you can prove that the agency has intended to withold payment, you can always take them to court (small claims?) and try get your money. You have to prove that the agency is in breach of contract. May be hard to prove.
      If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Id send the agency a recorded letter asking them to pay within 14 days or you will start court proceedings, refer to the "clause" within the contract and say that you will also be approaching the client with regards to the said court proceedings.

You can also say that if the client is withholding payment, you advise the agency to take the same steps you are taking to seek recompense.

My guess is that they are just stalling and are keeping the money in the bank for interest.

If it's under £5k I think you can use small cliams court - it's on-line & quick and easy.
        Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

If the agency keep saying the client hasnt paid you can take out a Garnishee Order that allows you to go direct to the source of the debt and order them to pay, bypassing the agency altogether. Telling the agent you are planning to do this may well focus their minds a little more if they plan on keeping the client on their books.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

The contract contains a clause which states that the payment terms are either 30 days or when the client pays the agency,
            Why oh why do people sign contracts with terms like this?

Comment

Is there a clause saying that if payment not made by a certain date then contract is terminated?

Comment

First of all before signing a contract always run a credit check on the agency no matter how big or small they are.

Send a polite letter giving them seven days to pay, then send a second strong letter threatening legal action to recover debt plus costs giving them 14 days. Exactly on the 14th day take out a small claims summons, you can do that online,

Your costs will be the cost of the summons, phone calls and letters, your time for preparation at the statutory rate (used to be about £8.50 per hour) plus if it goes to court your travel time, travel costs etc.
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Even with a clause like you accepted, it may be that you can still persue the debt. IIRC, there's something in the late payment legislation about unfair and unfairly imposed terms.

Originally posted by www.payontime.co.uk
                  Under the ... Late Payment of Commercial Debts Act, ... bodies representing small and medium-sized enterprises, such as the Federation of Small Businesses, will have the right to challenge grossly unfair contract terms used by purchasers, which may affect the ability to recover late payment interest.

Get legal advice - pcg helpline if you're a member. Also payontime.co.uk have a mechanism for asking questions. Last time I used them (three yeas ago), they gave more comprehensive and practical advice than the pcg helpline!
                  Last edited by NotAllThere; 23 August 2008, 05:49.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Not So Wise View Post
                    Why oh why do people sign contracts with terms like this?
                    Because most people do not read the contract.

I refused to start a gig last year because I didn't like the contract terms. The agent was genuinely surprised I had actually read it.

When I rent properties, the letting agents are always put out that I spend ten or fifteen minutes reading the contract before signing it. (To date, I have had to change at least one item on every letting agency contract before I would sign it.)
                    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Working...
                    X