• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

maternity pay

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

maternity pay

Hi

My significant other works in and is paid by my company. She gave birth to our daughter 5 months ago. Should she have been paid maternity pay by the company? If so when should this be paid from?

Any help would be appreciated as my accountants don't seem too interested...

Thanks in advance...

Originally posted by HaPpY_DaZe View Post
    Hi

My significant other works in and is paid by my company. She gave birth to our daughter 5 months ago. Should she have been paid maternity pay by the company? If so when should this be paid from?

Thanks in advance...
    1. That depends on whether she was employed when you / she and the milkman conceived. There's a calculator here. http://smpcalculator.hmrc.gov.uk/SMP1.aspx

2. They/you should be interested, a) because it's a legal requirement, and b) because Hector will pay it for you. It's free money.

Comment

Originally posted by HaPpY_DaZe View Post
      Hi

Thanks in advance...
      She would have been eligible if she was earning more than £90 per week before tax and had worked there for more than 26 weeks. see here http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...en/DG_10018741

BUT ... Did she apply for it?! "To claim Statutory Maternity Pay you must tell your employer at least 28 days before the date you want to start your Statutory Maternity Pay. Your employer may need you to tell them in writing."

If they said no for whatever reason (e.g. she did not meet the eligibilty requirements) she may have been able to claim maternity allowance instead.

She should have been doing all this 6 months ago. It is probably too late now.

Comment

My other half worked part-time for our company 16hrs a week on a separate contract we got, and she is currently being paid maternity pay from the company.. you fill everything in on HMRC's website and they send you a cheque for the full amount to cover the 39 weeks which goes into your business account.
        The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Sorry Happy Daze, according to the DWP website "the last date you can start to claim is the day after the baby is born" so it looks like you've missed out.

The same thing happened to me with our third kid. Too busy at work looking after others finances that I forgot to look after my own.

Comment

Working...
          X