• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Britain is booming (and bulging at the seams)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Britain is booming (and bulging at the seams)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008.../population.eu

Britain will overtake Germany and France to become the biggest country in the EU in 50 years' time, according to population projections unveiled yesterday. A survey of demographic trends finds Britain's positive birth rate contrasting strongly with most other large countries in Europe.

The impact of population shrinkage, coupled with the ageing of key European societies, spells big problems for pensions, health and welfare systems across much of the union, says the report, published by Eurostat, the statistical service of the European commission.

But Britain, it says, is likely to suffer less because of its strong population growth and the younger average age of British society.

Saved by immigration! And BTL will be back in business too.

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    [url]

Saved by immigration! And BTL will be back in business too.
    Haven't half of them gone home already, since the credit crunch?

Dooomed.
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      Saved by immigration!
      Don't forget our teenage single mothers. They're all doing their bit.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        Don't forget our teenage single mothers. They're all doing their bit.
        I will be willing to do my bit for the ones that aren't yet pregnant. For king and country...

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          I will be willing to do my bit for the ones that aren't yet pregnant. For king and country...
          Very public spirited of you.

Comment

UK population will reach 80 million in, I think, 50 years. That's scary.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
              UK population will reach 80 million in, I think, 50 years. That's scary.
              Just shows how good the UK must be compared to the desolate wilderness of the mainland.

Comment

Working...
              X