• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Decent USB Key

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decent USB Key

Hi All,

Can anyone help me here? I have a USB key that I store my CV, invoices etc on.

I usually access it once a week, however whenever I plug it in the comp says it canno read from it and it needs fomatting.

It is me? the key? the comp (running vista)

Anyone got a decent key with a data lock on it? Does this help?

Thanks
    Who has time? Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have time?

Buy a portable USB SDHC card reader for 5 pounds, 16GB SD for 20 (or smaller for less if you want to), use truecrypt software to encrypt what's on the disk.
    Mirror that data somewhere, usb drives also fail.

Comment

Originally posted by xchaotic View Post
      Buy a portable USB SDHC card reader for 5 pounds, 16GB SD for 20 (or smaller for less if you want to), use truecrypt software to encrypt what's on the disk.
      WHS, although I use TrueCrypt on my USB stick (which I find a bit handier than lugging around a card reader and cards).
      Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

WTS

Except I have a couple of these on my keyring. Very convenient.

Comment

Originally posted by stingman123 View Post
          It is me? the key? the comp (running vista)
          It's probably the technologists.

Go and read the threads in General for half an hour. Then consider the fact that these people consider themselves to be the technological élite.

Then find your cave, and stock it well. The hour approaches...

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
            (which I find a bit handier than lugging around a card reader and cards).
            That's the reader I have, except in black:
            Targus - bought it in US for $8. Hardly any bigger than the SD card itself. My theory being, why pay extra for the usb connector on the SD card, and this particular reader protects the SD card inside it. Can you really carry your SD with your keys, in your pocket without fear?

Another great, but more expensive idea is to get an mp3 player that supports SDHC, I haven't found one, only microSD.
            Also Nokia N95 has 8GB built in and you can expand that with another microSD.
            And the most expensive and flashy options is to get the iPhone. Among other problems, if you lose it or it gets stolen, you lose a lot of worth and the data too.
            The reason I mention those options is that overall, is saves the amount of gadgets that you have to carry.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
              WTS

Except I have a couple of these on my keyring. Very convenient.

This looks pretty good, I'll give it a try!

Thanks for the help
              Who has time? Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have time?

Comment

Working...
              X