• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Web access via mobile phone?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Web access via mobile phone?

Ok, bear with me, I'm the most un-techie techie in the world! At least I am when it comes to mobiles, laptops etc.

I'm going away for a week to a remote area. The house we are staying won't have an internet connection. I want to take my laptop, and would really like to be able to access the web without having to go to internet cafes (not that there will be any within 30 miles of where we are staying anyway).

So, do I have any options? Someone said something about a pay as you go mobile subscription from which your laptop can access the web, but I really have no clue as to what they mean.

If any of you clever people (who don't live with your head in the sand like me) can offer any clues or links, it would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers.

Originally posted by Gros View Post
    So, do I have any options? Someone said something about a pay as you go mobile subscription from which your laptop can access the web, but I really have no clue as to what they mean.
    That's one option, something like this: http://threestore.three.co.uk/payg/?modem=1. I have the same thing but on a contract.

If your mobile is fairly recent and you have a "data plan" element to your contract then you may be able to "tether" your laptop to your mobile and use it as a modem.
    Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
      That's one option, something like this: http://threestore.three.co.uk/payg/?modem=1. I have the same thing but on a contract.

If your mobile is fairly recent and you have a "data plan" element to your contract then you may be able to "tether" your laptop to your mobile and use it as a modem.
      WHS. 3 seem to be the best provider for this sort of stuff.

If you dont have a phone on the 3 network then their £10 month USB modem does the job well enough.

If you do have a phone on 3 then just ring them up and ask them to add the internet access option to your account. £10 month again for unlimited access, less if you are happy to have it capped at 2gb( I think it was ).

Either way, just plug the phone or the USB stick into your laptop and windows should sort the rest out for you.

This all assumes you are going somewhere wehre you can get a signal of somesort
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

T-mobile also have an option for data. I use it fairly regularly. For my contract, it is unlimited-ish usage.
        phone connects to laptop via cable, software installed to dial up, 3g+ish access.

However - check your remote are has access - mobile phone access is notoriously bad in some rural areas!!
        That is an issue for all phone providers

Comment

Thanks chaps.

I'm on an Orange contract; maybe I'll pop in and see them at lunch, see what the options are.

I'm going to be in the Highlands, around an hour from Inverness, and will check with the property owner whether there's going to be a signal or not!

Comment

I'm going to be in the Highlands, around an hour from Inverness, and will check with the property owner whether there's going to be a signal or not!
            Don't be disappointed if you only get a 64k GPRS connection (and you might be lucky to get that!). But then you'll be in a beautiful part of Scotland and the internet should be the last thing on your mind.

I can't believe I just said that - don't tell anyone will you
            Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
              Don't be disappointed if you only get a 64k GPRS connection (and you might be lucky to get that!). But then you'll be in a beautiful part of Scotland and the internet should be the last thing on your mind.

I can't believe I just said that - don't tell anyone will you
              You are completely right, it should be the last thing on my mind. Only problem is, I'm on the bench as from next week, so may have to keep an eye on the market every day!

Comment

You are completely right, it should be the last thing on my mind. Only problem is, I'm on the bench as from next week, so may have to keep an eye on the market every day!
                Glad I am not the only one who spends his time on the bench looking for my next contract!!

Have a great time in Scotland!!

Comment

Working...
                X