• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Does anyone know how/where to rent a decent car?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone know how/where to rent a decent car?

I was thinking it would be nice to go away to Scotland in the autumn for a weekend in the wind, rain & wilderness. I live in Durham, since the roads up from here to Scotland are pretty empty, and the roads in Scotland's countryside are very nice, it would be cool to rent something slightly more up-market than our 1.0L Yaris.

Ideally I'd love to get something like an RX8 for a weekend, but a Z4 or a modern TT would be good. Or something else in that kind of class - doesn't have to be really flashy or the latest model, I just can't remember names of any others and am going off TopGear reviews

I can't find anywhere online... the sites I found all seemed to be restricted to pickup from airports, and the nearest airport is 25 miles away. Doesn't anywhere deliver hire cars to you at a reasonable price? When I was a permie, my company arranged this when I had to travel for work... the car turned up at my house.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

avis prestige rent all sorts from a mini cooper to a R8 and they can deliver to your home
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Go to the BMW garage (Elvet?) at Belmont and tell them you want to test drive a Z4 over the weekend....simple
      Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        I was thinking it would be nice to go away to Scotland in the autumn for a weekend in the wind, rain & wilderness. I live in Durham, since the roads up from here to Scotland are pretty empty, and the roads in Scotland's countryside are very nice, it would be cool to rent something slightly more up-market than our 1.0L Yaris.

Ideally I'd love to get something like an RX8 for a weekend, but a Z4 or a modern TT would be good. Or something else in that kind of class - doesn't have to be really flashy or the latest model, I just can't remember names of any others and am going off TopGear reviews

I can't find anywhere online... the sites I found all seemed to be restricted to pickup from airports, and the nearest airport is 25 miles away. Doesn't anywhere deliver hire cars to you at a reasonable price? When I was a permie, my company arranged this when I had to travel for work... the car turned up at my house.

350Z INMO, although I wouldn't take Clarksons view on it!
        l l l http://www.thewantedfans.com

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
          Go to the BMW garage (Elvet?) at Belmont and tell them you want to test drive a Z4 over the weekend....simple
          Really?

Comment

http://www.rent-a-banger.com/
            Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

http://www.guysalmon.com/

Rented a Porsche Boxster for the weekend - unlimitted mileage, less than 6 months old, and they delivered. They were also a lot cheaper than all the other 'prestige' car agents I looked at.
              And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
                avis prestige rent all sorts from a mini cooper to a R8 and they can deliver to your home
                Sadly, they said they won't deliver for just a couple of days, not to me in Durham anyway.

Comment

Well I didn't get any reply from BMW, but Mazda will give me an RX8 for a day, maximum 100 miles. I wondered if anyone here knows the area around Durham well... a 50 mile range from Durham City can get me to the North York moors, but not with much left to play with.

By the way, is it at all likely I can negotiate on the 1-day, 100-mile thing? I don't want it to sound like I'm just trying to take them for a ride by saying "well we're going to Scotland for the weekend, can we take your car".

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Well I didn't get any reply from BMW, but Mazda will give me an RX8 for a day, maximum 100 miles. I wondered if anyone here knows the area around Durham well... a 50 mile range from Durham City can get me to the North York moors, but not with much left to play with.

By the way, is it at all likely I can negotiate on the 1-day, 100-mile thing? I don't want it to sound like I'm just trying to take them for a ride by saying "well we're going to Scotland for the weekend, can we take your car".
                    FFS, just buy a sports car cash, go on holiday and then trade it in when you return. You'll only lose a few thousand. Friggin paupers.

Comment

Working...
                    X