• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client Entertainment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client Entertainment

Quick question (or two):

- When reclaiming for client entertainment, can I reclaim gratuity? Does it matter if this shown or not (ie if it was on a credit card receipt it would be shown, if it was a cash tip, it would not)

- From consultancy life I'm used to worrying about alcohol on expenses - are there guidelines or limits? I consider £50 worth of drinks (and no food) with an old client as valid entertainment/prospecting, but would the revenue?

- Other than retaining receipts, any other things to bear in mind when evidencing such expenses?

Cheers

You can claim for what you can receipt. Is business that bad you need to reclaim cash tips?

On a related note, any client entertainment is not tax deductable. Meaning it does not get taken off the profit before corp tax is calculated...
    Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
      You can claim for what you can receipt. Is business that bad you need to reclaim cash tips?

On a related note, any client entertainment is not tax deductable. Meaning it does not get taken off the profit before corp tax is calculated...
      A friend of mine who runs his own reseller does calim back tips as well. To him, it's a business expense. I personally don't claim back tips on my lunch meals / entertainment, unless it is a service charge.
      If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Unless they are foreign of course.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
          Unless they are foreign of course.
          what, the clients?

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

what, the clients?

Reading it back I don't think that is quite what I meant.

I'm not sure of all the rules related to location etc but when abroad I used to charge various bits of entertainment (e.g. taking Portuguese clients to Euro 2004).

Comment

So is there any benefit to reclaiming the costs? As a one-man outfit it's all my money anyway, right?

Comment

Originally posted by timmyc View Post
                So is there any benefit to reclaiming the costs? As a one-man outfit it's all my money anyway, right?
                Well if its through the company you'll only pay 21% tax before the expense, if you take it out of your salary it's more.

If it come out of your dividend distributed monies, then there si no real difference, unless of course you breach the higher level tax threashold.

In my mind though a business expense should be paid for by the company rather than by the "employee".
                Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Working...
                X