• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Harry Potter Must Die

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harry Potter Must Die

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7626589.stm

Stupid bitch.

Now I know why I refused to read anything about Harry Potter or watch any movies - it was bad enough when on Saturdays I was woken up by loud child shouts - "Mum my friend Bob has already got new Harry Potter book I want it too!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Now I know why I refused to read anything about Harry Potter or watch any movies - it was bad enough when on Saturdays I was woken up by loud child shouts - "Mum my friend Bob has already got new Harry Potter book I want it too!!!"
      Whom is this child of which you speak? One of yours? A neighbour?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Whom is this child of which you speak? One of yours? A neighbour?
        Neighbours - it was a few years ago but I still remember

Comment

Neighbours - it was a few years ago but I still remember
          Anything that gets kids reading books is great. Not sure I see the need for films, games, toys, etcetc.

Comment

Anything that gets kids reading books is great.
            Not if the only book they want is Harry Potter. I liked Tolkien and SciFi but I also read many different books. Kids probably read Harry Potter mainly because it is "cool".

Comment

Not if the only book they want is Harry Potter. I liked Tolkien and SciFi but I also read many different books. Kids probably read Harry Potter mainly because it is "cool".
              I always hated reading - I was lucky to get an O level pass (I guess now its worth an A grade).

However these days alot of calls on kids time. SWamped by cheap toys from china - loads of TV channels(when I was small there were 2 for everyone) and DVDs.

Maybe some kids who read HP for being cool go on to read other books?

Comment

Originally posted by GreenerGrass View Post
                Still going to lost the election though eh?

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

However these days alot of calls on kids time. SWamped by cheap toys from china - loads of TV channels(when I was small there were 2 for everyone) and DVDs.
                  That's the job of the parents to regulate that.

Maybe some kids who read HP for being cool go on to read other books?
                  Probably, it sure is better than kids go out to sniff glue, no doubt about that. I am afraid however that Potter is a one off "cool" thing that only makes it hard for other authors to break through into the market. I did read a lot and recently started again - every time I go back to UK from Russia I bring 20-25 kg of books, usually I re-read good books I read before and every time I find something new that I missed in previous reads.

Just watching BBC and people are asking - why did not she give money to child charity but preferred political party that in all probability will lose next elections? If she was smart she would have gone to the party that can win (conservatives) and got out some specific child promises for her million, this would have actually allowed her money not to be wasted.

I don't have negative feelings towards her, though I think some of the things she did recently are not right - like say creating special fairy tail to sell it for lots of money, that's cruel - surely all children wanted to read it and she was selling it only to those who can pay hundreds of thousands? Crazy stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
                    Still going to lost the election though eh?

Comment

Working...
                    X