• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Solar power

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solar power

Hi folks -

Thinking of spending some of my hard earned cash to install solar panels and or a wind turbine (nothing to do with saving the planet - more to do with having power when the power cuts start happeing).

Anyone done the same or have any words of wisdom/advice?
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Wait until next year at least.

Comment

I have a 7 kVA Generator (with loads of fuel) rigged up. so no problem
      Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Do your maths?!

e.g. Solar panels are a 'waste of money', says Rics http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/mon...cle4681919.ece

the good news is at
        http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle4641300.ece

where apparently you can get paid for all the electricity you USE (yes USE) if you have solar panels!
        This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
          e.g. Solar panels are a 'waste of money', says Rics http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/mon...cle4681919.ece
          They are such a "waste" of money that factories that pump out solar cells from silicon are filled up with orders - same goes for wind turbines, I think Siemens is booked up many years ahead until like 2012-14.

Solar power in this country might not be too good at current efficiency rates, which are growing pretty fast - that's why I suggest to wait a bit.

Comment

Its all to easy...

Get your panels - say, 1Kw worth (12 x 80w for example), mount them somewhere facing magnetic north (consider Wattsuns solar tracker for extra efficiency but weigh up cost of tracker vs cost of more panels), get an MPPT charge controller for the panels, say an Outback MX60, then run that into a grid-tie inverter and run the inverter into your meter box.

You *should* be able to negotiate a rate from your electricity supplier for the power you are feeding into the grid, and then all you need is a small battery bank connected to the inverter so when the power DOES go down due to the utility company paying all the profits out in dividends and bonus's instead of maintaining their equipment, you can run your house off the battery bank.

Of course this whole arrangement requires one key ingredient to make it work - sun. So, totally pointless doing it in the UK then.

;-)

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
              His turbine provides power for his house and for underfloor heating in his garage, where he has a small fleet of sports cars.
              Best reason yet to go green. Can't have your cars getting cold now.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I have a solar powered calculator, and solar powered garden lights, can I claim money for them?
                Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
                  Hi folks -

Thinking of spending some of my hard earned cash to install solar panels and or a wind turbine (nothing to do with saving the planet - more to do with having power when the power cuts start happeing).

Don't believe the hype. Complete waste of money.

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
                    Hi folks -

Because of our latitude, cloud cover and the inefficiency of photovoltaics, don't expect to get a great deal of electricity out of photovoltaic cells in the UK. All you can expect is around 20 Watts per square metre on average over the course of a day, which translates to around 2 kWh per day for 4 metres square of roof. (2kWh is enough to run a two-bar electric fire for an hour). This assuming 20% efficiency and 100W average solar radiation - cheaper panels are only about half (10%) as efficient. It might be worth waiting for prices drop, at which point they could start looking good. Solar thermal is a big improvement over photovoltaics since they are about a quarter of the cost but twice as efficient at trapping energy - but don't generate electricity. Probably somewhere in between these two are wind turbines, but you really need good wind conditions and power will be more intermittent. More cost effective still is to reduce energy consumption, for example with insulation, using South facing windows to trap light effectively, wearing a jumper, etc - and maybe buying a generator too

Comment

Working...
                    X