PDA

View Full Version : Q- Working in the Brentford area?

Fred Bloggs
27th September 2008, 11:06
What's it like working in the Brentford area? Weekly commute is presently a possibility for next gig. Train from Crewe looks favourite for Mon/Fri but I'm not sure what accommodation will be like in that area for availability and cost. I've never worked in that area at all before.

thunderlizard
27th September 2008, 20:35
Like any London suburb, there'll be a thriving rental scene, or B&Bs if you prefer, but it won't be cheap.

Bagpuss
27th September 2008, 20:44
What's it like working in the Brentford area? Weekly commute is presently a possibility for next gig. Train from Crewe looks favourite for Mon/Fri but I'm not sure what accommodation will be like in that area for availability and cost. I've never worked in that area at all before.

Try easyroomate, or you could get a cheap room in one of the travelodges if you book well in advance.

BTW Crewe to Euston is fast (1hr 50 or so) and cheap, but it will be a bind getting to brentford from there

swamp
27th September 2008, 20:48
Is it Sky by any chance?

Fred Bloggs
27th September 2008, 21:00
Is it Sky by any chance?
No, Worley Parsons actually.

Fred Bloggs
27th September 2008, 21:01
Try easyroomate, or you could get a cheap room in one of the travelodges if you book well in advance.

BTW Crewe to Euston is fast (1hr 50 or so) and cheap, but it will be a bind getting to brentford from thereThanks, I guess Euston out to Brentford will be a bind then on a Monday morning, but then again, I'd be heading the opposite way to most of the office workers?

Bagpuss
27th September 2008, 21:08
I'd probably drive instead, m6 toll, m42, m40 is much faster than the M1 even on a Monday morning.

http://www.travelodge.co.uk

Fred Bloggs
28th September 2008, 10:13
I'd probably drive instead, m6 toll, m42, m40 is much faster than the M1 even on a Monday morning.

http://www.travelodge.co.uk
Thanks, when I was working in Dartford I had to avoid the M6 going north because all Friday after about 12.00 it is solid north of the M6 Toll/M6 junction. M6 is a no go area on Friday afternoons. I go as far as J18. On Fridays I always used to go north via M1 and west across the A50 to Stoke. Thanks for the advice.

Clippy
28th September 2008, 15:21
No, Worley Parsons actually.

I know where this is.

I'd suggest looking for accomodation in Ealing or Chiswick for things to do of an evening.

Or if you want it a bit quitier, try Kew.

All a similar distance from Brentford.

Fred Bloggs
28th September 2008, 15:24
I know where this is.

I'd suggest looking for accomodation in Ealing or Chiswick for things to do of an evening.

Or if you want it a bit quitier, try Kew.

All a similar distance from Brentford.Thanks for the advice. I'll know this week whether it's on or not.

SueEllen
28th September 2008, 15:43
What's it like working in the Brentford area? .

If it's actually in Brentford then it's miserable. There is not a lot in the actual area except offices and the M4 elevated section.

However as others stated Ealing, Chiswick and Kew are all nearby. Just be careful what part of Ealing you decide to live in if you stay there. Traffic is horrendous in the morning rush hour.

Sky is in Osterley which is where the Tesco's is.

Fred Bloggs
28th September 2008, 16:27
If it's actually in Brentford then it's miserable. There is not a lot in the actual area except offices and the M4 elevated section.

However as others stated Ealing, Chiswick and Kew are all nearby. Just be careful what part of Ealing you decide to live in if you stay there. Traffic is horrendous in the morning rush hour.

Sky is in Osterley which is where the Tesco's is.Thanks.

Bagpuss
28th September 2008, 17:06
Thanks, when I was working in Dartford I had to avoid the M6 going north because all Friday after about 12.00 it is solid north of the M6 Toll/M6 junction. M6 is a no go area on Friday afternoons. I go as far as J18. On Fridays I always used to go north via M1 and west across the A50 to Stoke. Thanks for the advice.

It's not that bad if you hit it after 6pm. Junc 18 to west london used to take me less than 3hr on a Monday and about 3.5 on Fridays. M1 via a50 is much slower, unless the m6 is shut.