• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What if you get overpaid?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What if you get overpaid?

I have a client in the US, I got my rate set in £. He sometimes makes payments in $ based on the current exchange rate and this is in the contract as allowed... anyway for one payment he sent a cheque instead of electronic payment. Abbey are claiming it can take a few weeks to clear... when he wrote the cheque the £ was worth about $1.9, if it cleared at current rates I'd end up with £500 more than I billed for.

What should I do? How can I make my books balance? Do I need to make my income match what I bill or is the tax=man not bothered?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    What should I do? How can I make my books balance? Do I need to make my income match what I bill or is the tax=man not bothered?
    Any benefit due to exchange rate fluctuations is equivalent to your company making a speculative investment in the money markets. Any extra over your invoiced amount is counted as investment income and should be handled/taxed as any other investment revenue such as bank interest.
    Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
      Any benefit due to exchange rate fluctuations is equivalent to your company making a speculative investment in the money markets. Any extra over your invoiced amount is counted as investment income and should be handled/taxed as any other investment revenue such as bank interest.
      That has to be one of the most useful, accurate and helpful answers that I've seen here.

Are you sure you're on the right forum???
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

It was very lucid wasn't it. I can confirm that this precisely what my accountant does.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          That has to be one of the most useful, accurate and helpful answers that I've seen here.
          First time anyone has EVER said that about James.
          "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
          "See?"

Comment

Originally posted by NickNick View Post
            First time anyone has EVER said that about James.
            I do have brief moments of lucidity, before lapsing back into nonsense (a.k.a. tpd)
            Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Working...
            X