• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Friday afternoon question?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday afternoon question?

In World War 1 & 2, did soldiers carrying on paying their mortgages??

You know, I've always wondered that!!! You need to worry if you're pondering the same questions as me!!

I always wondered whether in today's world, if we had a major war, if we'd still have to find money for mortgages, credit cards, catalogues etc
    The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
      You know, I've always wondered that!!! You need to worry if you're pondering the same questions as me!!

I always wondered whether in today's world, if we had a major war, if we'd still have to find money for mortgages, credit cards, catalogues etc
      I, too, have spent many sleepless nights pondering the same questions. It's crippled my sex life, and if I didn't have Bisto and a loving dog, I don't know what I'd do for release.

Comment

WW1 - not many people would have owned their home- but if they did yes
        WW2 - the ones that had - of cause they did - normally they would be married and their wives did - they also had to pay into goverment bonds for war damage on the homes - as the normal building insurerance woud not cover you if a bomb dropped on your house.

Sorry - could not think of anything witty!
        Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

Originally posted by zara_backdog View Post
          .. normal building insurance woud not cover you if a bomb dropped on your house! ..
          I think the same generally applies today - Contents and building (and vehicle?) insurance don't usually cover damage caused by civil disorder or war. So if there's a riot, and petrol bombs start getting lobbed around one wouldn't be covered.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            I think the same generally applies today - Contents and building (and vehicle?) insurance don't usually cover damage caused by civil disorder or war. So if there's a riot, and petrol bombs start getting lobbed around one wouldn't be covered.
            Another good reason to rent instead. Bring it on.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I wonder if the bombs started droping again - the Goverment would issuse the same type of Bonds to "guarantee" your assetts.
              Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                Another good reason to rent instead. Bring it on.

Cannot think of a good reason to rent. I don't want to be paying rent when I when I can avoid it by owning a house.
                Imagine the cost of rent if you live to 100. That is at least 30 years times 12times whatever your monthly rent is, or zero if you own a house. AND.... that would be out of a limited pension for most folk !!! They'd have to be on benefits to afford it.

30 * 12 * 500 quid = 180,000 pounds eekeek

Comment

Working...
                X