• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car servicing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car servicing

My six-year old car worth about 2 grand is going to cost in the region of £400 for a servicing and MOT today. This is from a "franchised dealership". Having a service that costs 20% of the value of the car is not something I'm entirely comfortable with.

Assuming I keep the old banger until next year, is it worth seeking out an independent garage to take it to next year to save money - or are they likely to hash up the MOT/service even more than the franchised dealership?

If so, how would I go about finding a reputable garage?

I can't believe someone with a £2K car takes it to a main dealer at £100/hr labour rates. Talk about stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by chicane View Post
      My six-year old car worth about 2 grand is going to cost in the region of £400 for a servicing and MOT today. This is from a "franchised dealership". Having a service that costs 20% of the value of the car is not something I'm entirely comfortable with.

Assuming I keep the old banger until next year, is it worth seeking out an independent garage to take it to next year to save money - or are they likely to hash up the MOT/service even more than the franchised dealership?

If so, how would I go about finding a reputable garage?
      You could look for Trading standards approval. Most tyre and exhaust places will service a car for £100, and let's face it a basic service is oil, filter, possibly plugs. You could get the MOT done at the local council depot (no incentive to fail the car)
      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Buy a Hayes Manual and do it yourself - thats what I did with my old bangar of a Vectra.

Yes - it still worked before anyone asks
        Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

what is the car?

Comment

I serviced my banger. £30 all in. Took 30 mins. The dealer would have charged £200 and not done it properly.
            The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by zara_backdog View Post
              Buy a Hayes Manual and do it yourself - thats what I did with my old bangar of a Vectra.

Yes - it still worked before anyone asks
              Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
              I serviced my banger. £30 all in. Took 30 mins. The dealer would have charged £200 and not done it properly.
              Not really the cheapest option if you don't already own the tools...
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                You could look for Trading standards approval. Most tyre and exhaust places will service a car for £100, and let's face it a basic service is oil, filter, possibly plugs. You could get the MOT done at the local council depot (no incentive to fail the car)
                Thanks for the advice. Possibly a silly question - but does Trading Standards approval offer anything beyond "this garage is likely to be more reputable than ones that aren't Trading Standards approved"?

If they manage to stuff something up during a service which I discover after paying, can I call Trading Standards and get help from them in resolving the issue?

Apologies for the paranoia - I trust car dealerships even less than double glazing companies, partly because I know nothing about cars and I'm sure they can see it from a mile away.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                  Not really the cheapest option if you don't already own the tools...
                  You don't need that much really..

Oil filter remover circa £5
                  Sump plug tool circa £5
                  Plug socket circa £5

I like tinkering with cars though

Originally posted by chicane View Post
                  Thanks for the advice. Possibly a silly question - but does Trading Standards approval offer anything beyond "this garage is likely to be more reputable than ones that aren't Trading Standards approved"?

If they manage to stuff something up during a service which I discover after paying, can I call Trading Standards and get help from them in resolving the issue?

Apologies for the paranoia - I trust car dealerships even less than double glazing companies, partly because I know nothing about cars and I'm sure they can see it from a mile away.
                  To be on the scheme they have to apply and certains standards have to be met, IRRC they do random checks i.e. put a passable car through in secret. NEVER go to the reduced MOT garages, I find the best ones are small independants that do not repair cars as their main business. A garage that does breakdown recovery is usually a good bet. Better still take it to a council run centre

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-mot

For servicing on the older car I'd use the fixed price offers of someone like Formula 1 autocentes if you have one nearby.
                  Last edited by Bagpuss; 13 October 2008, 15:31.

Comment

My car is approaching its 3rd birthday. I was just wondering, do you get notified by the DVLA that it needs a MOT or anything or is it down to me to check?
                    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                    X