• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CGT reduction?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CGT reduction?

Hi,

I've been trading 6 months through a Ltd Company and will now be taking a permanent post. What’s the best way of taking the £20k remaining after CT out of my company? Had two ideas to lower CGT, but not sure if either is possible?

1. Give my wife 50% of company as a gift and use her CGT allowance.
    2. Offset the stamp duty I’ll be paying on my house purchase (£9k) against gain from company closure. Is this possible?

Any other suggestions?

(PS: I'll be high rate taxpayer)

Originally posted by Joolakker View Post
    Offset the stamp duty I’ll be paying on my house purchase (£9k) against gain from company closure. Is this possible?
    How is that supposed to work?

Gifting shares of value may have tax implications.

Perhaps just stick the £20k into a pension?

Comment

Originally posted by Crossroads View Post
      Gifting shares of value may have tax implications.
      There shouldn't be any problem with gifting shares of value between married couples.

Comment

Option 1 is fine.

Option 2 does not even make sense as a sentence never mind a strategy.

Comment

Working...
        X