• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Capital Gain tax and Company secetaries

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Capital Gain tax and Company secetaries

Quick question - My girlfriend is my company secretary, I am closing my company down so can I give her some of my profit so that I can use her Capital gain tax free allowance as well as mine.
    Thanks

Only if she's a shareholder. Makes no difference at all that she's your company secretary.

Comment

If I want to make her a shareholder is it an easy process and would it appear suspicous that I made her a shareholder before I stopped trading.

Comment

There are tax ramifications for transferring shares to someone else who is not your spouse.

Comment

Originally posted by Hex View Post
          There are tax ramifications for transferring shares to someone else who is not your spouse.
          Not if you gift them. Unless you're thinking about inheritance tax, being a spouse won't really matter one way or t'other.

You do run the risk of s660. If you're doing this purely to reduce your tax liability there's the chance HMRC would simply move the gain back to you and tax it as if it had been yours all along.

Comment

Originally posted by Alfie View Post
            Not if you gift them. Unless you're thinking about inheritance tax, being a spouse won't really matter one way or t'other.
            I am assuming the girlfriend is not a charity. There are therefore potential tax implications (over and above the IHT issues as a result of the pet). The disposal should be deemed to be at market value and any CGT paid accordingly, the acquisition would then also be considered to be at market value.

Of course the actual value of non quoted shares may be difficult to decide. However if this is a typical contracting company then valuing them at their share of retained assets would probably suffice. Any lower than that might just attract the attention of HMRC.

Comment

But you can do a holdover relief claim to avoid any CGT assuming the shares qualify as business assets, which they should do.

Comment

Working...
              X