• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Perl directory confusion

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perl directory confusion

Another amateur webby question. I'm trying to use a form mailer hosted on my site instead of Worldpay's default mailer so I can tailor the order report better.

I am correctly referencing a perl script on submit since it comes up in address bar but getting page error even with a script untouched by me. I think perl needs to be in a specific directory? Tried bunging in root and cgi-bin but same result.

Hosters list the technical details below, but not quite sure what they mean. I assume the root directory is /home/mysite/public_html so bunging in cgi-bin is correct. How would I put anything in usr/bin/perl anyway even assuming I should?

Cheers for any clarifications

technical data:
    Path to cgi-bin: /home/mysite/public_html/cgi-bin
    Path to Perl: /usr/bin/perl

PS Why have I got a little green arrowy thing???
    Last edited by xoggoth; 20 November 2008, 14:50.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Another amateur webby question. I'm trying to use a form mailer hosted on my site instead of Worldpay's default mailer so I can tailor the order report better.

I am correctly referencing a perl script on submit since it comes up in address bar but getting page error even with a script untouched by me. I think perl needs to be in a specific directory? Tried bunging in root and cgi-bin but same result.

Hosters list the technical details below, but not quite sure what they mean. I assume the root directory is /home/mysite/public_html so bunging in cgi-bin is correct. How would I put anything in usr/bin/perl anyway even assuming I should?

Cheers for any clarifications

technical data:
    Path to cgi-bin: /home/mysite/public_html/cgi-bin
    Path to Perl: /usr/bin/perl

PS Why have I got a little green arrowy thing???
    What error are you getting exactly?

There are a couple of obvious possibilities:
    1. Ensure that the first line of the script reads #!/usr/bin/perl - this ensures that the system knows where to look for the Perl interpreter.
    2. Ensure that the file is executable - Unix systems require the file to have an "executable" bit set. Your FTP client should be able to help you with this; try right-clicking on the remote file and looking at the "Properties" (although it depends what you're using to upload the file, so it's hard to be more specific).

If none of that helps, giving more details of the error would be helpful

Comment

Doh!

Cheers NickFitz, I forgot to set the permissions! Don't do enough of this sort of stuff to remember these things. It's Working now
      bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        Doh!

Cheers NickFitz, I forgot to set the permissions! Don't do enough of this sort of stuff to remember these things. It's Working now
        HTH

Comment

Not that's it got me anywhere as belatedly realised that all the rubbish sent reflects what is in all the hidden fields is in their form and just changing the mail program won't help at all. Bah!

Possibly.
          Last edited by xoggoth; 20 November 2008, 16:47.
          bloggoth

Comment

Working...
          X