• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Plan GP

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plan GP

Become a Doctor? 5-8 years as a student again, then a secure job unless you are Shipmanesque. Even if you are 45 by the time you are a GP still have 20 years working.

Would dentistry not be a better plan?
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      Would dentistry not be a better plan?
      Yes i suppose, but theres more choice in medicine you can become a GP or a Surgeon or a ER Doctor etc.

Comment

Dentists are always in demand, and in private practice too - kerching!
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Gp

Could you live on a £200,000 salary for sitting on your arse all day doing mostly nothing 37 hrs a week?
          First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            Dentists are always in demand, and in private practice too - kerching!
            Ah, but dentists do have have a very high divorce and suicide rate. ( mind you nearly every one I worked for had a mistress or two on the side). Never known a poor one, even the ones who are divorced
            Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
              Could you live on a £200,000 salary for sitting on your arse all day doing mostly nothing 37 hrs a week?
              AND the rest! With Private practice looking at minimum 500k

Comment

5-8 years as a student again
                Good idea if you can survive for that length of time with no money.

Comment

And be a junior doctor in your 40s, 50s. Not much fun. And I think (not sure) that medical schools have upper age limits (or they used to). Don't do it. The way to make money out of medicine is in contracting in IT or Project Management (apparently

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
                    Not if it involves inspecting old grannies bunions.
                    'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                    Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Working...
                    X