• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Plan Z

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plan Z

So, given that the economy, the country, and possibly the world as we know it, is going to the wall, how to people plan to sit out the impending global apocalypse?
    I guess it depends on your age, how much you have saved and whether you're prepared to live in a bunker and eat your kids.

How are you planning for armageddon?
    working your socks off in the hope that you can save enough money to buy a yatch and slip anchor as each port becomes more terrifying?
    Or are you spending all your money while you can before the banks collapse and hyper-inflation reduces your life savings to the cost of a terry's chocolate orange?
    Are you paying off your mortgage, so you'll be able to board yourself up with some shotgun cartridges, bottled water and corned beef?
    Or are you selling your house so you can buy a souped up chevvy and roam the world mad max style? Doing more and more push ups to get in shape for the inevitable fights to the death with feral street gangs who will terrorise neighbourhoods after even martial law breaks down?

What's the best way to plan for the coming "escape from new york" scenario?

If only life were that exciting. Does anyone really believe all this impending armageddon stuff?

Comment

I am taking back a couple of pot noodles every night and storing them under the stairs. I feel that if I was to do it in bulk the neighbours would spot it and I might become a target for looters.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheshire Cat View Post
        So, given that the economy, the country, and possibly the world as we know it, is going to the wall, how to people plan to sit out the impending global apocalypse?
        I guess it depends on your age, how much you have saved and whether you're prepared to live in a bunker and eat your kids.

working your socks off in the hope that you can save enough money to buy a yatch and slip anchor as each port becomes more terrifying?
        Or are you spending all your money while you can before the banks collapse and hyper-inflation reduces your life savings to the cost of a terry's chocolate orange?
        Are you paying off your mortgage, so you'll be able to board yourself up with some shotgun cartridges, bottled water and corned beef?
        Or are you selling your house so you can buy a souped up chevvy and roam the world mad max style? Doing more and more push ups to get in shape for the inevitable fights to the death with feral street gangs who will terrorise neighbourhoods after even martial law breaks down?

What's the best way to plan for the coming "escape from new york" scenario?
        Or are you posting doom mongering drivel on CUK?
        "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
            I am taking back a couple of pot noodles every night and storing them under the stairs. I feel that if I was to do it in bulk the neighbours would spot it and I might become a target for looters.
            Thanks for the mental image
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
              Or are you posting doom mongering drivel on CUK?
              Yes, it's all completely sincere.
              Not a whiff of light hearted exaggeration in that post.

Comment

I'll make some kind of cart and tie some horses to it, then I'll charge two chickens to take people to the next village. I'll give one of the chickens to the fellow in the next hovel down who makes woad, if he paints "Deano's Olde-Worlde Taking People Around Service" on the side of my cart.

Perhaps someone will comes up with the notion of some kind of asset that can be used in place of chickens. A piece of paper or something that is really difficult to copy so that nobody can make their own. Then I'll probably see if that can be used to obtain goods and services. Pehaps I'll start accepting them to take people around on my cart.

Of an evening we might find a witch or two to burn. There might even be a plague! That would cheer everyone up.
                When money ceases to be the tool by which men deal with one another, then men become the tools of men. Blood, whips and guns--or dollars. Take your choice - Ayn Rand, Atlas.

Comment

Originally posted by deano View Post
                  I'll make some kind of cart and tie some horses to it, then I'll charge two chickens to take people to the next village. I'll give one of the chickens to the fellow in the next hovel down who makes woad, if he paints "Deano's Olde-Worlde Taking People Around Service" on the side of my cart.

Perhaps someone will comes up with the notion of some kind of asset that can be used in place of chickens. A piece of paper or something that is really difficult to copy so that nobody can make their own. Then I'll probably see if that can be used to obtain goods and services. Pehaps I'll start accepting them to take people around on my cart.

Of an evening we might find a witch or two to burn. There might even be a plague! That would cheer everyone up.
                  If demand for your carting service grows, perhaps you'll consider building another cart and hiring a second driver? I'd probably be available for a reasonable daily rate. Although I would want to work from home on Fridays.

Comment

If demand for your carting service grows, perhaps you'll consider building another cart and hiring a second driver? I'd probably be available for a reasonable daily rate. Although I would want to work from home on Fridays.
                    Possibly, possibly. However we would need to come to some sort of written arrangement whereby you work for yourself and I'll pay you some kind of fixed daily rate whilst I have work for you. Of course the Evil Squire might deem this to be some kind of "hidden employment" and would take all our chickens and send his evil henchmen round to arrest us for being terrorists.

Then we might have a revolution, chop of the Evil Squire's head and invade Ireland for a bit.
                    When money ceases to be the tool by which men deal with one another, then men become the tools of men. Blood, whips and guns--or dollars. Take your choice - Ayn Rand, Atlas.

Comment

Working...
                    X