• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Plan B

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plan B

This looks alright to me.

I could pay cash for that.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Looks nice.

I've also been thinking about getting a place in Italy, but I would have to be near the sea.

Comment

It’s fast becoming a realistic option as house prices in Tuscany and Umbria are taking a nosedive as all the Brits leave. If you can stay in work, even at a lower rate, and keep your savings intact, there’ll be some real bargains. I should make it clear that I’ve never seen a house as an investment but as a place to live, but at these prices I’m very tempted. Second homes are likely to reach the kind of prices that people can afford with savings instead of silly whacking great mortgages, and if you speak the language sufficiently and you’ve got some skills that you can sell locally (teaching English, fitness instruction, or of course software) it could be time to move to the sun.

Of course, if you're tied up in the UK with no savings, negative equity and a bunch of kids at private school, this won't really be an option.

I call it my 'f**k the rest of you' plan.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post

Looks like a place I saw in Panzano in Chianti in the mid-1990s, for just about that price (in pounds of the time). Has it got silly since then and come round again?

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
          Looks like a place I saw in Panzano in Chianti in the mid-1990s, for just about that price (in pounds of the time). Has it got silly since then and come round again?
          The prices went through the roof as merchant winkers and the like all crowded into Tuscany and Umbria. Prices are now divebombing back to levels that the locals can afford with their below European average salaries, their limited savings and their inability to get anything more than a 75% mortgage.

Comment

The prices went through the roof as merchant winkers and the like all crowded into Tuscany and Umbria. Prices are now divebombing back to levels that the locals can afford with their below European average salaries, their limited savings and their inability to get anything more than a 75% mortgage.
            Where is the nearest airport with direct flights to the UK?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              Why on earth would you want to fly to the UK from there? Anyway, Pisa's 120km away.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                Hmmm. For Chianti it was Pisa. Bit of a drive (especially over the strade bianche of those days, probably better now).

May I recommend http://www.flightmapping.com/flight-search.asp and the "Flight Maps" button?

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                  Hmmm. For Chianti it was Pisa. Bit of a drive (especially over the strade bianche of those days, probably better now).
                  Yes, but a very enjoyable drive on one of these.

Comment

So could I, this week.
                    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                    X